#PeriodPaath: The Scream Of Menstruation

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To,

The Chairman,

Nabadwip Municipality,

Nabadwip,Nadia

SUBJECT: ( An appeal to make an

active and revolutionary 

system to help the health of 

girls during menstruation.)

Sir,

I,Chiranjit Saha,a resident of ward no.9 of your town, a student of Msc. in Botany, want to enlighten a burning problem of our area involving women’s health  for the brightest solution.

Due to being a student of a regular study course like Msc. under Kalyani University, circumstances have compelled me to make my temporary harbour at Kalyani . But, I can not resist myself from boarding on the train towards my home station , Nabadwip at the weekend;  as my responsibility pulls me to come here . I have some beloved students here, with whom I spend a quality time on saturday and sunday to guide them in their studies . As I can give them only two days at weekend, I do not want to see them to miss my coaching . The presence of my boys is really praiseworthy as most of them are more sincere than me to attend my classes . But the absence of my girls frustrates me because in spite of having possibility,such absence leads them to poor results in the examination . I forbid them regularly to do so as I can share only two days of a week with the students of my hometown. But, there is no improvement in the situation .

Yesterday, losing control of my temper, I rebuked a girl fervently for such suicidal offences . She broke into tears and from her weakly arranged words, I came to know the reason behind such devastating malpractice . It is the health problem in time of menstruation which forces them to miss my coaching . Their illness and some social rituals drive them to stay bedridden in those days .Their guardians also pressurize them to do so.

Thus,  menstruation has become a huge cause for our girls to drop their school and private tutions for a certain period in a month . I was feeling helpless and no further argument came in my  mind against the sisterly students. l discussed the fact with other private tutors of my town and as an active member of the alumni board, I discussed it with the respected principal of our local high school named Gouranga Vidyapith. None denied the matter of low presence of girls during menstruation and everyone is concerned about such regular breaks in study as it is keeping a notable negative impact on their studies . 

I, therefore, earnestly request you to take some effective steps mentioned under for the welfare of our beloved sisters and mothers .I will feel myself grateful if my suggestion appears to be relevant to you, supreme lord.

My beggings are as follows : —

1. It has been observed that the girls of our region suffer from a high deficiency of iron which leads to anemia . In case of teenagers or school goers, the picture is more frightening. Therefore ,I request you to make an arrangement for the distribution of iron capsules among the girls of each and every school . Capsules should be sent also to the houses of each menstruous lady of our area responsibly by the government workers . 
  2.  A package containing iron rich vegetables like beans, lentils , hygrophila and red spinach should be supplied to the menstruous ladies once a week at free of cost  by a government undertaken enterprise.
  3. At least five sanitary napkin vending machines have to be set up in our town and from there , our mothers and sisters will get ten napkins per month against their thumb impression . Napkins must never be replaced by amy dirty cloth.
  4. ther of improved social health . So, articles about menstruation should be included in the school syllabus and those chapters must be taught sincerely by the teachers.Thus, the superstitions about this physiological process can be eradicated . 
  5. An individual project for each student on increasing social awareness about menstruation should be included in the annual school examination. The distribution of marks will totally depend on the proportion to the total number of local people involved by a student in  this project. 
  6. An active help desk must be  established in every health center where people will submit all their queries about menstruation through a specific written form to be answered  by a doctor on a scheduled date.
  7. Regular seminars have to be spontaneously arranged on this essential topic in our area to erase out the misconceptual fairy tales of common people.
  8. And the most important point is that during menstruation, a girl suffers from some tipical psychological problems which should be sympathetically handled by her family and their physical loss during this period must be compensated by a regular healthy diet.

Mothers are the pillar of a society . All of us know that charity begins at home and home is maintained by our mothers . So, if we weaken our girls, we will weaken our society . The success-recipe of a student lies in the kitchen of the student’s mother and the girl of today is the mother of tomorrow. Our India is great because our land has some great mothers like Sarada Devi,Bhubaneshwari Devi et al who have given birth to Rabindranath, Vivekananda . Our India is great because we have girls like Mary Kom , Sania Mirza , P.V. Sindhu et al.

Therefore, I cordially believe that for the welfare of our locality and civilization, you will take heartial steps for the menstruous girls .

Thankfully yours

Chiranjit Saha

Poramatala Road

Ward no // 9

Nabadwip,Nadia

Phone //7001383909