PM Modi’s 8 PM Address: Here’s All You Need To Know

As the world grapples with the novel Covid-19 virus, Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the nation urging the citizenry to move forward with ‘resolve and restraint’.

Here are the seven main points PM Modi addressed in his speech tonight:

1. All people are advised to maintain social distancing and stay indoors over the next few weeks. PM has urged the people to only step out in case of emergency.
  2. He further stressed on the need to work from home, isolate, and laid special emphasis on the need for senior citizens to not step out for the next few days under any condition.
  3. The biggest announcement came in the form of a ‘public curfew: by the people, for the people’ to be followed en masse on Sunday, March 22nd from 7 am to 9 pm.
  4. 5 pm, 5 minutes: Another  announcement was the call for all the people to come together this Sunday to express our gratitude towards public sector workers, doctors, sanitation workers, paramedics, home-delivery workers, etc., who are at the forefront of the battle against this pandemic.
  5. He also mentioned the formation of a ‘Covid-19 Economic Task Force’ under the guidance of finance ministry to evaluate and try to reduce the economic burden of the disease.
  6. The Prime Minister has requested the citizens to not indulge in panic-piling or panic buying assuring that there will be no shortage of basic commodities such as milk, food, medicines etc. The supply/delivery of these items will not be stopped.
  7. The general public was also advised to postpone/cancel routine check-ups and elective surgeries for the time being, so that the hospitals can prioritise Covid-19.

Lastly, he said that this is a global issue, and we all need to face this together with grit, resilience and sheer determination. Save yourself, save the nation, save the world!

You can watch the full speech here: