Power Politics In Madhya Pradesh: Is The Kamal Nath-Led Govt Nearing Its Fall?

Jyotiraditya Scindia left Congress after a series of incidents that demoted his reputation in the  party starting with missing out on the chief minister position. Apparently, he was not given the PCC chief MP position either. Recently, when he said that he would hit the streets if the promises of the government are not fulfilled, Chief Minister Kamal Nath said: “let him do so”.

Former Congress MP Jyotiraditya Scindia (Photo by Mujeeb Faruqui/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

All these incidents were sufficient for Scindia to leave the Congress, but the fact that the party wasn’t considering him for one of the two Rajya Sabha seats from Madhya Pradesh made him furious, and he isolated six ministers and 20 MLAs who were loyal to him in a resort in Bangalore. Since there are 114 Congress MLAs, only 20 would be sufficient for the government’s downfall in the Madhya Pradesh assembly.

If we look at the historical aspects of the present turmoil, we shouldn’t be shocked or surprised at this move from Scindia. His father Madhavrao Scindia had broken away from the INC and formed his own party in 1993. In fact, Madhavrao Scindia’s mother was the founding member of Jana Sangh.

The important figure missing in all this action is Rahul Gandhi as he is considered as Scindia’s close friend. But his own leadership is under serious concerns right now as he is not able to solve the internal matters of his party. Given the status of Scindia in Madhya Pradesh and the fact that he wasn’t considered for CM post, he should have at least been considered for the second position. He should have been made the PCC chief, but the Congress party ignored all these facts and accelerated the fall of the Kamal Nath government in Madhya Pradesh.

The main figure responsible for this turmoil, in present Jyotiraditya’s case or his father’s case, was the former chief minister Digvijay Singh, who is allegedly responsible for holding back the Scindia’s influence in the state politics. Sources claim that he had a role to play in the fact that Scindia was not considered for the PCC chief and Rajya Sabha member position.

Now, it is clear that he met BJP and the Modi-Shah duo. Shivraj Singh Chauhan is likely to be the Chief Minister for the fourth term, and Scindia is likely to receive a cabinet minister position along with Rajya Sabha membership in return.