Why Celebrate Women’s Day If People Don’t Change Their Attitude Towards Women?

Representational image.  Credit: Getty images.

Every year International Women’s Day is celebrated worldwide on March 8. This day is celebrated to honour and acknowledge the achievements made by women from different walks of life.

But, life was not so easy for the young and ambitious women. Since time immemorial, women have been facing discrimination, stereotype, and atrocities. The concept of ‘women empowerment‘, I think, had emerged during the twentieth century. Earlier, women in almost all the countries were supposed to stay in homes, they were not allowed to go out, talk to boys from other community. They were supposed to perform their household chores and not work in the farms with their male counterparts. They didn’t have basic rights for themselves. They were also not allowed to go to school. They were always made to sit properly, not to talk too loudly and be patient with their kids. As soon as they got married they were forced to have kids and look after them (which still is the case for a lot of women in our country).

‘Women empowerment’ basically means helping women realise that they too have dreams and that they too should have basic human rights. After the Women’s Suffrage movement, which granted voting rights to women above the age of 18, many women came forward to vote and many even started contesting in elections.

Women should not be considered as ‘inferior’ to their male counterparts. We are living in the 21st century, and women have emerged quite victorious in their struggle fighting against the patriarchy, and in fighting for themselves. In this male-dominated world, it is quite difficult to be a woman, even now.

Especially in India, I feel that women, who strive towards achieving their dreams and goals, once they cross the age of 25, and are still unmarried, they are considered as ‘over-ambitious’ as they have ignored the fact that they should get married and have kids. Or in simple terms “settle down“. They still have to face the discrimination of being paid less than their male counterparts in all walks of life, from a corporate employee to a Bollywood actress.

Since time immemorial, women have been facing discrimination.

People need to change their attitude towards women and time has come to start respecting and acknowledging their achievements. Otherwise, the idea of celebrating women’s day would be of no use.

Featured image for representation only.