’Thappad’ Review: “The Movie Was Stronger Than A Double Espresso”

If I have to describe the movie ‘Thappad‘ in one word, it would be ‘excellent‘. It is excellent in many ways, especially for the Indian audience. It shows the life of an upper-middle-class housewife in India. It focuses on their roles, responsibilities and the sacrifices they have to make. It beautifully represents the bond between a daughter and her father.

It challenges the traditional way of suppressing a woman’s desires and her happiness for the family. It is straight and blunt on your face. It hits you hard if you are a male, and forces you to calibrate and think on your beliefs and your ignorant behavior towards your mom, sister, wife and girlfriend.

The film touches upon many aspects of womanhood and the choices women have to make in a very effective and subtle way. This movie is about the ignorance of a male partner and men in society. It is about the dignity of women, and their right to be happy. It easily convinces you about our patriarchal society and the undue advantages that men enjoy.

This is a movie that forces you to reflect on yourselves as individuals, be it male or female, and also makes you realise the importance of family over work. It intelligently decouples the joint between love (प्यार) and right (हक), and the difference between them.

“The movie forces you to reflect on yourselves as individuals, be it male or female, and also makes you realise the importance of family over work.”

I thank from the bottom of my heart to the director and writer of this film, Mr Anubhav Sinha, co-writer Ms Mrunmayee Lagoo, I thank Ms Taapsee Pannu for playing Ammu effortlessly, and for making us feel the same pain that Ammu was going through.

The list is long, and each and every role in this film contributes to the film and makes it real and relatable. Thanks to the whole cast and crew for making this amazing and path-breaking movie, which will be remembered as one of the masterpieces in the coming year.

The movie was simple, but stronger than a double espresso, which keeps you awake and makes you think. I strongly recommend everyone go and watch this movie, and it would be great if you watch it with your family.

“हाँ बस एक थप्पड़; पर नहीं मार सकता”
(“Yes just a slap, but he can’t.”)

CONTEST ALERT!

Have a period experience that really stood out for you? Share your story in 150 words or more and get featured on our homepage!

Participate now!