How To Get Your Unique Disability ID Made: A Comprehensive Guide

Unique Disability ID for Persons with Disabilities is a project being implemented by the Government of India for creating a National Database for Persons with Disability (PwDs), and to issue a Unique Disability Identity (UDID) card to each and every person with any disability. According to the National Portal of India,

“The project will not only encourage transparency, efficiency and ease of delivering the government benefits to every person with disability across India, but also ensure uniformity. The project will help in streamlining and maintaining the tracking of physical and financial progress of beneficiary at all levels of hierarchy of implementation from Village level to Block level to District level to State level to National level.”

Details of The Unique Disability Identity (UDID) Initiative

The UDID project, initiated by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment,  aims to build a holistic and digitalised end-to-end integrated system for issuance of Unique Disability ID & Disability Certificates for Persons with Disabilities with their identification and disability details. This includes:

• Online availability of data of Person with Disabilities across the country through a centralised web application resource

• Online filing and submission of registration application form for disability certificate/Unique ID card; Offline applications may also be accepted and subsequently digitised by agencies

• Quick Assessment process for calculating the percentage of disability by hospitals/Medical Board

• Non-duplication of data of PwDs

• Online renewal and update of information by Persons with Disabilities on their behalf

• MIS reporting framework

• Effective management including interoperability of the benefits/schemes launched by the Government for Persons with Disability (PwD)

• To take care of additional disabilities in future

Objective Of UDID

The Objective of the UDID project is to enable PwDs across India to obtain the new UDID card/Disability Certificate in order to avail schemes and benefits provided by the Government through its various Ministries and their Departments. This card will be valid pan-India. The UDID portal has been designed to provide an online platform for the following:

• New application for UDID

• Renewal of existing Certificate/Card on expiration of validity

• In the event of loss of card/certificate as per the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights & Full Participation) Act, 2016- A person with disability can be defined as one with one or more of disabilities falling under any of the below mentioned categories:

Image source: Getty Images
  • Blindness- “Blindness” refers to a condition where a person suffers from any of the following conditions namely:-
  1. Total absence of sight; or
  2. Visual acuity not exceeding 6/60 or 20/200 (Snellen) in the better eye with correcting lenses; or
  3. Limitation of the field of vision subtending an angle of 20 degree or worse;
  • Cerebral Palsy– “Cerebral Palsy” means a group of non-progressive conditions of a person characterized by abnormal motor control posture resulting from brain insult or injuriesoccurring in the pre-natal, peri-natal or infant period of development;
  • Low vision- ” Low vision” means a person with impairment of visual functioning even after treatment of standard refractive correction but who uses or is potentially capable of using vision for the planning or execution of a task with appropriate assistant device;
  • Locomotor disability- “Locomotor disability” means disability of the bones, joints or muscles leading to substantial restriction of the movement of the limbs or nay form of  cerebral palsy;
  • Leprosy-cured– “Leprosy-cured person” means person who has been cured of leprosy but is suffering from:
  1. Loss of sensation in hands or feet as well as loss of sensation and paresis in the eye and eye-lid but with no manifest deformity;
  2. Manifest deformity and paresis but having sufficient mobility in their hands and feet to enable them to engage in normal economic activity;
  3. Extreme physical deformity as well as advanced age which prevents him from undertaking any gainful occupation and the expression “Leprosy Cured” shall be  construed accordingly;
  • Mental retardation– “Mental retardation” means a conditions of arrested or incomplete development of mind of a person which is specially characterised by sub normality of intelligence;
  • Mental illness– “Mental illness” means any mental disorder other than Mental retardation
  • Hearing Impairment– “Hearing Impairment” means loss of sixty decibels or more in the better ear in the conversational range of frequencies

Benefits Of The Unique Disability ID Card

1. Application for UDID card can be submitted online. So, it will make life easier for PWDs.

2. The UDID Card holder will no longer need to carry lengthy documents as proof of her disability. UDID Card will be acceptable thoughout India to prove one’s disability condition.

3. At present time the disability certificates of one state are not recognized in the other state of India. The universal cards would help the differently-abled to get over these problems that they face at railway counters or even to avail any benefit at educational institutions. The
card would have a unique number which if fed on the website would help an authority access all details.

4. The card is of standard credit card size. It will easily fit in one’s wallet.

5. UDID Card will have all the relevant details related with the person and her disability. This information can be easily read with a card reader device.

6. Real time data about the disabled persons will be available to the government to act upon.

7. Disability related data will not get duplicated as the computer system can ensure uniqueness of all the data related with disabled individuals.

8. System can be easily upgraded if more disability conditions get recognised by the government.

9. It would be easy to identify the extent of person’s disability. A person with less than 40% disability would have a card with a white stripe, 40 to 80% would have a card with yellow stripe and above 80% card with a blue stripe.

10. The UDID Card will help government to track a number of aspects. For example:

• Whether benefits of welfare schemes are reaching to the disabled persons.
  • How the beneficiaries are getting benefited.
  • If schemes are contributing to the progress of UDID card holders etc.

How to Register Online

• Person with Disability will register with UDID Web Portal www.swavlanbancard.gov.in.

• Using your credentials, PwD logs in to system and click “Apply online for Disability Certificate. Reads instructions and fills up online application.

• Upload color passport photo and other requisite documents like Income Proof, Identity Proof and SC/ST/OBC proof as required.

• Submits data to CMO Office/Medical Authority.

• CMO Office/Medical Authority verifies data.

• CMO Office/Medical Authority assigns the concerned specialist(s) for assessment.

• Specialist Doctor assesses disability of PwD and gives opinion on disability.

• Medical Board reviews the case and assign disability percentage. CMO Office prepares Disability Certificate and generates UDID and Disability Certificate.

• UDID datasheet goes for UDID Card printing and Card dispatched to PwD.

Can the UDID Card be used for bus pass?

We think that disabled people will have to get the bus passes made as usual. But while applying for the bus pass, UDID Card could be used as proof of disability.