Schools, Universities Shut In Kolkata In Bid To Fight Coronavirus

The World Health Organisation declared the coronavirus outbreak a global pandemic. On Thursday, India reported its first death and on Friday, India reported its second death.

A 69-year-old woman in Delhi died of Coronavirus, the second death in India due to coronavirus, confirmed Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, while the total number of cases in the country is 81 till now. The Health Ministry has been taking various measures to stop the spreading of the Coronavirus.

In Kolkata, Amity University was the first academic institution that called off their classes from tomorrow till March 31. The university is going to hold online classes for students to complete their remaining courses.

All the interview procedures and admission procedures have been cancelled by the college authority. Amity University is the first university in Kolkata after South Point school who has cancelled all the classes.

Notice from the college authority.

Sayani Ray, a student from Amity University, said ‘The decision that college authority took is completely fine.”
She added, “We will be having our classes online so it will get easy for us to study and prepare ourselves for the final semester examination.”Other universities and schools of the city are working in a normal way creating fear among the students. South Point School of Kolkata on Friday informed parents that there was no need to send students to school without much need. All the reasons why they needed to come to school, including taking report cards, have been cancelled.

Again, those who come to the school for examination, also have to be careful, the school authorities said. The school has already organised a workshop regarding Coronavirus in the primary department and in the future they will again do a workshop for the high school.The school received a guideline from the Primary Education Office stating that there will be two posters for both elementary and high elementary schools regarding Coronavirus awareness and the poster will be given from the office of District Health Officer.

Till now, over 25 countries announced school closures, more than 300 million kids have been affected.

The guideline from Primary Education Office

In this situation, Bengal’s Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said that there have been no positive cases of coronavirus in Bengal, and her team is monitoring the situation.

Featured image for representation only.
Sign this petition to demand expanding of screening beyond government hospitals, to pre-empt the disease from becoming an epidemic.
As the coronavirus pandemic continues, it is our duty to keep ourselves informed, take care of our own health, and wash our hands! Some simple measures that we must follow include social distancing, covering our mouth when coughing and sneezing, washing one's hands regularly, and avoid crowded places, and self-quarantine! The helpline provided by the government is +91-11-23978046. Here are some resources that the WHO and the Health Ministry have created. Remember, prevention, and not panic, will see us through this!