Quick Byte: The US And Taliban Sign Peace Deal

A seven-day truce agreement between the US and Taliban in Afghanistan came into effect on 21st February 2020. The initial agreement is for a reduction in agreement (RIV).

Is Afghanistan close to peace?

If the reduction in violence holds, the US and Taliban will then sign another peace agreement. This would be followed by All-Afghan peace talks within 10 days. The agreements stuck during negotiations between representatives of the two, if maintained, could secure a peace deal that would lead to a withdrawal of American forces from Afghanistan.

The negotiations after a successful truce aim to achieve a comprehensive and permanent ceasefire that ends the Afghan war. It led to Intra-Afghan peace talks with various political parties in the country. Both the parties say that they are close to peace after 18 years of war. Almost 3,500 members, out of 2,300 were American, of the international coalition forces have died since the US’ 2001 invasion.