Why Do People Now Have A Sense Of Fear Surrounding Holi?

India is considered one of the oldest civilisations in the world with many values, festivals, religions and so on, and these things make India very special and unique than others.

In India, there are numerous festivals which people like to celebrate with frolic and the way of celebrating these festivals has been changed over time, which is partly erroneous. Earlier, festivals were the source of joy and enjoyment but now the sight has been changed when one looks toward festivals such as Holi.

Holi is the festival of colours, and this festival is also in unique in its way, however, few people have diminished the enjoyment of this festival by their activities as a result now people even afraid to celebrate this festival. People often cross their limits in this festival especially with girls and women, which makes them feel unsafe owing to people’s inappropriate touch.

People playing with water balloons during Holi.

The festival of Holi has now become confined to a few people only because certain people took undue advantage in the name of this festival, thereby declining the charm of this festival.

Here, the question comes: what is the significance of such a festival when people are not feeling safe during this festival?

I concede that people should enjoy the festival and never obliterate its real essence because it is not only fruitful for our country’s values but also for the upcoming generation.

I would like to put forth some reasons on account of which people dislike Holi:

• Holi has now become a negative medium for certain people where they just indulge themselves in various intoxications, consequently one can find the deployment of Police for preventing such activities.
  • Now, people often take personal revenge on this festival, which is a common sight.
  • Girls and women mostly feel insecure and unsafe because people apply colours without their consent on the excuse of festive spirit.
  • Nowadays, colours contains toxic chemicals that can even damage or create infection on someone’s skin.
  • Some people do not like the colour at all, but even then, people sometimes apply it forcefully, which is highly reprehensible.
Featured image for representative purpose only.
Featured image source: Sarita Khadka/Wikimedia Commons.