Why Is It Always A Girl’s Or A Woman’s Fault?

Being a woman isn’t easy. You have to face problems in your day to day life but that doesn’t mean that everything that happens to you is your fault. Us girls – from the day we are born are seen as burden, and it doesn’t matter if you’re from a privileged family or an underprivileged one.

Well, coming to the point, if a boy proposes to you, then it’s your fault. If a guy molests or rapes you, then it’s your fault. If you are unhappy in your married life or face domestic violence or want a divorce, then obviously, people will say, “ladki ki hi galti hogi” (it must be the girl’s fault).

If you wear shorts, then boom! People start slut shaming you. Of course, it’s the size of your clothes that’s the fault and not their narrow mindedness!

Each and every girl faces molestation and harassment during their early teens. When i was barely 12 years old, my tutor molested me by touching my thighs and cheeks. I wasn’t aware about ‘bad touch’ at that time. Then, after two years, I went through the same situation, but I was much more aware at that time so I told my parents.

This time, it was the house help who mentally torched me, by gazing at my private parts. To me, that guy was the worst – as a person, as a husband and father. But, he was my house help. As my father was a government official, the house help was provided for.

I told my parents about all of this and I was shocked by their reply. They said it was my fault and I “should stop wearing cycling shorts and tees and start covering myself” because short clothes trigger men.

Although they fired him, their ideology shattered me.

To all the girls and parents out there – first, it’s not your daughter’s fault. Second, always teach your daughter about bad touch and sexual assault. One more thing: if you are a man, then start respecting women around you.

Featured image for representative purpose only.