Is Akhilesh Yadav’s Push For Caste-Based Census More In Line With The Public Mood?

If voted to power, Akhilesh Yadav has promised that his govt will carry out a caste-based census in UP.

Is Akhilesh Yadav more in line with the public mood? He is expecting a win of 350 assembly seats in Uttar Pradesh as his palm reader had predicted. He is quite confident with the inclusion of politicians from other political parties. Have his political prospects improved now? In the 2017 assembly polls, he happened to secure as many as 47 seats with a vote share of 21.8%. Will the prediction of his palm reader turn out his position in 2022?

To make this possible, he seemed to have thought over furthering the cause of caste-based census in the state. He has already maintained if the Center did not go for a census based on caste, he would definitely attempt to conduct it after winning the next Uttar Pradesh elections. Of course, he had been struggling hard to retain his popular political enthusiasm, so other political parties should not fret and fume in reaction.

Would he be able to reap what is being criticised by the BJP as “Mungeri Lal Ke Haseen Sapney?” It would be a risk to him politically, with at least two long years ahead of him. He possesses the guts to handle the harsh challenges head-on instead of letting the people-centric problems fester unnecessarily.

He has a genuine question to raise, “What is the reason that the ruling party in the state is not going for the caste-wise census? A number of problems in society will be resolved if it is done. We will devise a way so that every community is allotted resources according to its population size.”