Why I Think The Indian Women’s Cricket Team Won Despite Having Lost The WC Finals

Women’s T20 World Cup final, held at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), has created history. Australia beat first time ever finalist India in the finals. This is Australia’s fifth title in the last six editions. Apart from this, Australia registered its highest ever, i.e, a total of 184/4.

This Women’s T20 World Cup edition was a memorable one; many new incidents happened, and many new records were made. MCG has broken the attendance record for women’s cricket match. As many as 86,147 people attended the finals, making it the highest attendance for women sporting event in Australia.

Australian opener Alyssa Healy slammed the fastest fifty in an ICC final. She broke Hardik Pandya’s record of 32 balls. Alyssa Healy and Beth Mooney, both the openers, played well to help Australia score 184 runs in the finals. Megan Schutt and Jesse Jonassen bowled brilliantly well, and took four and three wickets respectively.

Shafali Verma hits a six in a match during the 2020 ICC Women’s T20 World Cup series in Australia. Image Source: Wikipedia

India’s opener collapsed early. Deepti Sharma was able to score more than 30, and also got two wickets. In the group match, India defeated Aussie, but in the finals, India’s batting order was seen under pressure.

Shafali Verma was named the ‘Youngest Player To Play In Final’. Not just in the women order, Verma became the youngest player ever to play in the ICC World Cup Finals, and what she’s achieved at this tender age is totally unbelievable. She broke down after the final.

Also, what the Indian Women’s team achieved in this World Cup is beyond imaginable. The Indian team entered into the finals for the first time this year, and earlier during group match, defeated four times World Cup champions, Australia. Harmanpreet Kaur, who was leading team India, was able to maintain the top position in the group matches. Nevertheless, the series is a greatest achievement for women.

Aussie fast bowler Mitch Starc had returned to Australia from his tour to support his wife Alyssa Healy and Australian women’s team. He shared a picture of himself with his wife on Instagram after Aussie won.

Apart from all this, the prize money was increased by 320% for the 2020 edition of World Cup. The winning team received a total prize money of $1 million, and the runners up got $500,000. It was five times the amount offered in the 2018 edition. So, it was a great World Cup. No one could have imagined that the women’s team would do so well.