This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Aaditya Kanchan. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Opinion: Coronavirus Has Waged War On The World. What Now?

More from Aaditya Kanchan

While on one side we are dreaming to accomplish life on Mars but the other hand, a microorganism that can’t be even seen from a naked eye is on the verge of killing humanity. Quite contradictory, right? Our world war is against Covid-19 and the weapon to kill the virus isn’t a nuclear bomb but actually isolation, cleanliness and maintenance of hygiene.

Prime Minister Modi recently addressed the nation and his emphasis and effort to wake up the nation were impressive. He also mentioned about World War 1 and 2 in the addressing.

1) Social distancing is the need of the hour and should be a must for all. Don’t panic now. Be vigilant, avoid going out of the home. Social measures include limiting large groups coming together, closing buildings and cancelling public events.

2)  PM also appealed to the nation about the new “Janta Curfew” means the ‘people’s curfew, where on March 22 from 7 am to 9 pm,  all Indians should be in complete isolation and stay at home.
3) PM also requested not to assume that COVID -19 is not going to impact India.
4) People aged 60 should stay indoors and avoid venturing out of their home because they can be the most affected ones, especially the ones who are already suffering from health problems like diabetes, heart problems etc.

Noida Sector 121/Photo: Aaditya Kanchan

5) Do not hoard supplies, don’t indulge in panic buying as the government is taking all necessary steps to ensure the availability of essential products milk and food etc.
6) Stay away from rumours especially fake news, have belief on good sources like WHO(World health organisation).
7) Do not overload medical facilities, avoid hospitals for routine checkups and treatments. Even postpone avoidable surgeries.

Doctor appeals to stay at home. Source: Social media.

8) Do not cut salaries of support staff like maid, drivers and daily wage workers for their absence from work.
9) Salute and epress gratitude to all those who are working hard round the clock to overcome the crisis situation like Police, Doctors,  security, media etc on Sunday at 5 PM.

A delivery man wearing a mask for his protection/ Photo: Aaditya Kanchan

Wear a mask when it is required like when you are coughing or sneezing. So that the particles don’t spread further to anyone else.

A golden point: PM’s speech included two works: Sanyam(Resolve) and Sankalp (Restraint) which means to have sheer determination to stop the virus from spreading and having patince required to stay at home and quarantine.

What Should We Learn Now?

The new epicentre of COVID -19 is  Europe, especially Italy, Spain. The last 24 hrs completely changed the entire scenario for the entire world when 368 people died in Italy itself. Spain’s PM Pedro Sanchez locked down the entire country to save themselves from the fatal virus. Donald Trump declared an emergency in the USA. Italy saw its worst scenes as of now where people couldn’t even bury the dead bodies who died because of the virus.

We should learn from Italy to not repeat their mistakes. WHO appreciated India’s efforts for an awareness campaign and the war against COVID but it doesn’t mean the war is over now. India is on stage 2, there are chances there will be more lives at stake. Therefore, action by both centre and states governments were good. Many schools and colleges have also closed are avoiding public gatherings.

The next couple of weeks are really crucial for India. Many people ran away from the hospital and isolation wards when tested positive. Few of the states declared a complete shutdown to public transport like Punjab and Maharashtra. Markets are closed in Pune as well. Delhi government has closed all gyms, restaurants and swimming pools. The situation can be worse as the time passes as cases are rising in each every state.

We have seen the cases in the Leh which is at the extreme top, and in southern states like Kerala, Tamil Naidu as well. It became even more shocking for India when an army officer tested positive. The virus has a vast reach to even the Canada’ PM wife, the Vice President of  Iran, Health minister of UK etc.

Italy has just surpassed China in deaths as well, making it the world’s deadliest centre of the outbreak.  The worldwide deaths have crossed the margin of 10, 000. This depicts the seriousness of the issue. The number of deaths in Italy reached 3,405 on Thursday, the Italian Civil Protection Agency said at a news conference — 156 more than China’s toll, which, according to Johns Hopkins University, stands at 3,249.

Good news is that in the last 48 hrs China’s Wuhan ( the origination city) didn’t have any new case of the Virus.
Italy has become the deadliest centre of outbreak/Representational image.
Sports events have gotten postponed and cancelled too. Even the IPL might get cancelled. If IPL doesn’t take place, BCCI  would bear a  huge loss of 3800 crores. When it comes to Tokyo Olympics 2020, there are high chances of it getting postponed. US President Donald Trump has asked to conduct the Olympics next year. Euro CUP has been postponed next year. French Open has been postponed too, and so has India Open.
Body temperature being scanned by guards in Noida. Photo: Aaditya Kanchan

Although PM Modi covers the crux when it comes to the World economy and Indian economy, the situation is not good.  These days the stocks market is crashing on a daily basis like SENSEX, NIFTY 50 AND NASDAQ ETC. Therefore, a step like closing share markets could save us, because day by day, many investors in this country lose a huge amount.

What about those suspects who are continuously running from the hospitals? Even others’ lives are being put at risk now.

How will daily wages labourer deal with this situation, until formalisation doesn’t happen and their rights are not honoured?  How can we imagine them to quarantine themselves? What about those Indian students who are outside, like in Singapore and Mauritius, for their education? They are continuously seeking help from the government.

Image: Aaditya Kanchan
A salute to all security guards, doctors, nurses, media workers as well. Let’s appreciate them for they have been working 24 hours in this pandemic situation.

Created by Aaditya Kanchan

CAN INDIA FIGHT AGAINST COVID -19 ?
Stay safe, be alert, take care .

More from Aaditya Kanchan

By SINJINI SENGUPTA

By Samrat Ashish

By Riya Gadhavi