#DontForgetThem: Here’s How You Can Help Stray Animals During Lockdown

As the world is coping with the outbreak of COVID-19, we must not forget those without a voice. Let’s make sure our pets and stray animals are treated with care and compassion. We, as a country and a society, are currently experiencing something none of us has experienced before. The lockdown by the government was a necessary step to curb the spread of the Coronavirus. But it also came with some collateral damage.

Millions of stray animals are dependent on the compassion and kindness of people who feed them and give them water on a daily basis. Those people are restricted to their home due to the lockdown, and millions of stray animals are now suffering.

Stray animals need to be protected and cared for during this lockdown
Stray animals need to be protected and cared for during this lockdown.

In an address to the nation, the Honourable Prime Minister of India, Shri. Narendra Modi said, “Everyone must care for all the animals around them. Due to the lockdown, several stray animals are facing a crisis because they will not get food. I appeal to the people of this country to take care of all the animals around them.”

Pets indeed give us unconditional love and care. They become family members and deserve every bit of our attention. However, we must not forget those animals that do not have a home and are struggling to survive every day.

Gajender K Sharma, Country Director, World Animal Protection, India said: “The COVID-19 crisis has brought the world to a halt. But we must realise that animals around us are also feeling the effects of the lockdown. There is no evidence until now to suggest that your pets or stray animals are the cause of the Coronavirus and can transmit the infection to humans.

World Animal Protection has created a list of Do’s and Don’ts that everyone can easily follow as they observe social distancing and are at home due to the lockdown. Let’s not forget stray animals in this crisis. They need us.”

Here are the do’s and don’ts that anyone can follow during this time of crisis and lockdown while taking all the necessary health precautions as advised by the government.

You can also get an answer to all your animal welfare related queries here.