Here’s Why Red Amaranth Is An Important Part Of Adivasis’ Diet In Tripura

Disclaimer:  This article is for informational purposes only, it is not intended to suggest any kind of cures. The information in this article is based on the Adivasis’ traditional knowledge of herbal medicine. Do not follow the methods below without consulting a doctor. Adivasi Lives Matter does not take responsibility for any consequences of the consumption of the below-mentioned medicines. 

Red amaranth (Amaranthus Dubius), also known as red spinach, is a commonly found vegetable in India and it is consumed by all. This easily identifiable vegetable is red or magenta in colour, with red flowers and leaves. It is rich in carotene, iron, calcium, protein, Vitamin A. This is used widely prepared with Indian recipes with added flavours of spices, ginger, garlic, onions, and more. Its organic farming is supported as it not only improves soil’s fertility but produces vegetables without additives like pesticides and synthetic fertilisers. 

Cow dung is used as a fertiliser to growing red spinach.

Sukuram Debbarma, a resident of Tripura, is a government teacher and grows red amaranth. He shared his love for farming and explained how he grew red amaranth with very little effort. He said that he used cow dung and semi-powdered soil to make the soil fertile. This provided the soil with the necessities that it needed. This red spinach is cultivated during the winter season from December to January. It has nutrients that are said to help in strengthening hair roots, improve eyesight, improve digestion, among other things.

Red spinach can be eaten in many ways. It can be consumed either raw or cooked. It is used as a salad or cooked with eggs, pasta or cheese. 

Benefits Of Red Amaranth

1. Digestion:

Red amaranth is said to help in the process of bowel movement as it contains fibre in it. This fibrous food helps in proper digestion and is also useful for curing colon cancer, diabetes, cholesterol and helpful for weight loss as well.

2. Improves Eyesight:

It contains Vitamin A that contributes towards a healthy vision.

3. Grey Hair:

Red spinach is said to help in the prevention of premature greying of the hair.

4. Immune Support:

Red amaranth has been noted to help boost the body’s immune system.

5. Lose Weight:

Red amaranth leaves contain protein that is said to help reduce insulin levels in the blood and they also supposedly release a hormone that helps to lower hunger pangs.

Red spinach works in different ways in our body to provide nutrition and prophylactic benefits to prevent diseases and to maintain the good health of our body. It is very economical to cultivate and an available source of nutrients even for the people who are living in remote areas.

About the author: Khumtia Debbarma is a resident of the Sepahijala district of Tripura. She has completed her graduation and wants to become a social worker. She spends her free time singing, dancing, travelling and learning how to edit videos.