This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by GAURAV JOSHI. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Fight Corona The Gandhi Way: Choose ‘Solidarity’, Choose Social Distancing

More from GAURAV JOSHI

The arrival of COVID 19 has caused a deep crisis in our country. As always, even in this crisis, the Indian population has been divided into two parts. Be it the intelligentsia, media platform, politician, or any ordinary people. Even in this hour of crisis, people are either praising the government or counting its shortcomings. Believe me; it is not the right time to do either of these two things.

If some health experts are to be believed, then we are standing at the door of stage 3, and according to some, we have reached the same. Stage 3 is a truly frightening stage where the health structure of your country, medical facilities, and population together will decide how much destruction will happen in your country. Some health experts have even said that if stage 3 spreads entirely in India, then a large part of the population will be vulnerable. Hearing this can be intimidating, but in the worst scenario, the no of affected cases can be in crores also. In any case, India cannot bear the community spread. There will be a spate of deaths as a lot of people will enter the severe stage of COVID 19.

In this stage, the infection reaches the chest entirely, and the patient is supported on the ventilator. And if that happens, it would not be wrong to say that India, being the overpopulated nation it is, having a helpless health structure will not be able to deal with it. Deaths are skyrocketing in Spain, France, the USA, the UK, and Italy. Unfortunately, these are the countries whose health care structure is said to be the best. Now think what will be the condition of India? Unfortunately, the worst is yet to come.

These 15 days will be the most crucial. We as a country got the advantage that we can see the situation of other countries and learn from them. We are 10 to 15 days behind the rest of the nations as long as the timeline is concerned. These 15 to 30 days will decide our future. No pandemic lasts for a lifetime, but its aftermaths last for decades. Politicians, businesses, men, actors, and all upper-class people will revive themselves after this pandemic. The question is on “YOU”! Will you be able to rejuvenate yourself?

What Will The Future Look Like?

The country’s economy will have collapsed. Unemployment will be at its peak; poverty and hunger will be setting new records. All these suspected aftermaths are more likely to be true. But hold on, this future will belong only to those who survive. How many people do you think will survive, considering the population of 135 crore, miserable health facilities, extreme poverty, chronic lung diseases, diabetic and hypertensive people, malnourished children, acute shortage of ventilators, nine lakhs doctors for 135 crore people and apathetic bed ratio of 0.7 beds per 1000 people?

Well! This forecast will not be intimidating for you as long as you’re a politician, renowned businessmen, actor, cricketer, or a millionaire. But their population is not even 1% of our total population. You are lucky indeed if you come in this part of the community where you get everything after losing something. But what if you are in that 99 % population? Will it all end for you then? Don’t fear; you will still have a choice! The choice that was adopted for independence from Gandhi to Patel. That choice is the “choice of solidarity.” This is the need of the hour to show the solidarity of 1947. But this time, we have to explain this solidarity not by going out of homes but being inside the apartments.

We have to stop criticizing and abusing the government first. There is a whole life for this. Nothing positive will come from it. We have to be positive in ourselves. The second thing is we have to stop comparing India with other countries like Singapore, South Korea, and Japan. Their health structure is much better than us. Also, their population is 56 lakhs, five crores, and 12 crores, respectively, which is altogether less than the total population of Uttar Pradesh.

Times Are Tough, Be Practical

PM Modi addressing the nation urging them to maintain ‘social distancing’.

What other option is there to save the second most populous country of the world apart from the lockdown? Probably none. Have faith in government, and maintain positivity. In any case, the health care structure of our country can’t become the best in 15 days. Don’t expect a world-class health care structure from the government within 15 days. It would be utter idiocy to think that. Those who have the best health care structure are also struggling. The need of the hour is that we all have to show solidarity in these 15-30 days. The solidarity that people in countries like Italy, the USA, Spain, France, and the UK didn’t show.

This virus is like a fire that spreads when you put petrol on it. Believe me, solidarity and positivity is the most prominent vaccine of this virus. This vaccine is present in everyone’s home. And those who don’t have homes, it is the responsibility of the government to shelter and feed them. Even if the general public cooperates this much, then it will get the work done. After this, the responsibility falls on the shoulders of government, administration media, and health workers.

Health workers are, indeed, doing an excellent job. They are playing the role of angels in this crisis. The administration is also doing fine. Media and government are the most critical pillars in this hour of grief from whom expectations are very high. They have to work together. All the mediums of media and intelligentsia are therefore requested not to spread rumours and not to scare the people about future losses and to focus more on the things happening in the present. The need of today’s journalism is to put pressure on the government to test at maximum levels.

However, the government also has a big responsibility in this hour to stop the numbers from elevating and to provide opportunities for more and more tests. With this, they should provide food, grain, and shelter to all the poor. There has to be coordination between the centre and the state. Labourers’ repatriation is a highly burning issue in which the government’s failure can be seen. Even if someone dies of hunger in this epidemic, it will be the defeat of the entire government. There is a need to disengage these problems. The time has come for 135 crore people of India to show their “Indianness”.

• Show patriotism by sitting at home.
  • Show patriotism by not charging rent from labourers and the needy.
  • Show patriotism by feeding at least one needy family.
  • Show patriotism by not hoarding grains.
  • Show patriotism by not scaring uneducated and unaware people.
  • Show patriotism by not spreading rumours.

Future losses can be recovered, but corpses can’t. 

More from GAURAV JOSHI

By Neha Yadav

By Aishwarya Bajpai

By Amoli Trust