This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Ajeet MalHoTRa. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

What Does COVID-19 Mean For The Largest Democracy Of The World?

More from Ajeet MalHoTRa

HYDERABAD: India reported 63 fresh cases of COVID-19 on Friday, which is the highest taking the tally 236, according to the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) bulletin published on March 20, 6 pm. Till now, four people have lost their life. However, this is the official data that was published on the Health Ministry website on March 20.  India has a long history of hiding facts and figures. So, believing the official data is such a big task for the Indians.

On March 19, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced to observe “Janata Curfew” on Sunday i.e on March 22. As per the latest report, the Railway Ministry has cancelled more than 245 trains, and according to a news agency Press Trust of India, more than 2400 trains will be cancelled to observe the “Curfew” day in the country.

The Aviation Ministry has debarred all the international flights to touch down the Indian soil from March 22. Several airline companies Indigo, GoAir have announced to cancel their domestic flights on March 22.

According to the news agency ANI, Loss-making airline company, Air India has announced to cut its employee’s salaries to 10%.  More than 12 states have declared to shut down all schools, colleges, coaching institutes, gyms pubs, restaurants, malls and cinema halls in their state. Almost all the sector is facing a huge loss amid this deadly pandemic. Besides this, our Prime Minister has announced to observe ‘Curfew day’ and urged the citizens to clap and beat utensils in order to thank the social workers like the doctor, media-personnel and cleaning personnel.

If this is the only intention of the government, then it’s good otherwise the country will witness a choreographed presentation on the “Curfew day”.

People beating thalis etc to observe Janta Curfew.

Are We Ready To Fight With COVID-19?

No, India is not ready to give a tough fight to this pandemic. On March 19, the Prime Minister of the largest democracy did not announce anything which would favour the loss-making companies to sustain for a long time.

Can India Lockdown Like China Did?

Again the answer lies on the negative side. As China has totally locked down the country, the same module could not be possible for the largest democratic country. It may be possible that there are ample reasons behind this but the major one is, “lack of education.” The Prime Minister has announced to lock down the country for only one day and one can easily witness the scenario. In the national capital, where a large chunk of intellectuals lives, have witnessed a long queue of customers in grocery stores and pharma stores. Then, how can we imagine locking down the country for one month?

What Are The Options India Has?

Till now, the country has only few solutions. Self-quarantine for at least 8-10 days. Avoid social gatherings. Wash hands properly whenever we out of the house. Practice telephone or video conversation. Go for a health check-up, if necessary.

Last but not least, DO NOT PANIC.

More from Ajeet MalHoTRa

By Rakesh Nagdeo | Adivasi Awaaz Creator

By Avinash Tavares

By Sarika Verma