Hubbali-Ankola Railway Project: Is It Worth Destroying The Western Ghats?

WhyOnEarth logo mobEditor’s Note: Are you bothered by the drastic changes in our climate, causing extreme weather events and calamities such as the Kerala Floods? #WhyOnEarth aims to take the truth to the people with stories, experiences, opinions and revelations about the climate change reality that you should know, and act on. Have a story to share? Click here and publish.

Amidst the global pandemic, Karnataka Wildlife Board approved the controversial Hubbali-Ankola Railway project, which is set to destroy about 727 hectares of the Western Ghats forests. In the following set of illustrations, we understand what this Railway project is all about, why it spells disaster for our heritage forests, threatened animal species and how it threatens us humans as well.

1. The Controversial Hubbali-Ankola Project Was Cleared On March 20th.

2. The Project Was Rejected 22 Times In The Past.

3. The Primary Reason Cited Is Transportation Of Iron Ore From Bellary

4. Around 80% Of The Proposed Line Passes Through Dense Forests.

5. The Project Is A Threat To Endemic Species 

6. Western Ghats Are Home To 30% Of Plant And Animal Species In India.

7. Is The Railway Line Worth Destroying One Of The Rarest Natural Heritage Sites?

Concerned citizens, ecologists and groups are raising their voice against the project. A petition, signed by more than 13,000 citizens, hundreds of emails sent to authorities and 7,000+ tweets against the project are yet to receive any acknowledgement from the government.

We must continue being persistent if we are to save our Western Ghats! @fridaysforfuture.karnataka has been trying to prevent this project from being cleared by the National Board for Wildlife. Do check their social media to find out their latest action, so that you too can help save our invaluable forests!

Use the hashtags #SayNotoHubliAnkolaRailway #HubliAnkolaRailwayLineBeda #SaveWesternGhats on social media to keep the conversation going!