Thanks To Online Training, I Can Now Design A Fuel-Efficient Engine

When I was in my 4th semester of college, I started looking for summer internships. I applied to a few internships, but couldn’t get through any of them. While browsing internships on Internshala, I came across online training programmes being offered by them. The AutoCAD training caught my eye, since most of the internships I’d applied to required proficiency in AutoCAD, so I decided to get myself enroll in the programme.

The six-week training was divided into four modules – interface, drawing aid for basic objects, complex objects, and object editing, blocks and annotations, and finally, plotting and introduction to 3D. The first module introduced me to the basic interface of AutoCAD software and its parts such as ribbons, symbols, tabs, panels, command bar, quick access toolbar, drawing window, etc. I also learnt how to access Autodesk 360, define the workspace, and enter commands. Then, I learnt about limits and units, dynamic inputs, and toggling options along with creating lines using absolute and relative coordinate methods and polar method.

The second module was about drafting various complex figures using lines, arcs, polygons, ellipses, etc. Here, I learnt editing features and their properties, along with editing commands such as cut, mirror, trim, and join. Next up was an introduction to layers, its applications, options, and shortcuts. This section ended with grip editing, and normal and associative arrays.

The third module talked about blocks and its applications, hatching and various methods to do it, and ways to format text. Lastly, I learnt about isometric drafting and how to use the ‘Isoplane’ command to draw at an angle of 30 degrees. In the fourth module, I was introduced to the Dimension Style Manager and types of dimensions in AutoCAD. It also talked about plotting on model space and paper space. At the end of the module, I learnt to create a basic 3D solid model using space and visualisation tools.

Each module had six to seven brief videos explaining various topics and subtopics within the module. At the end of each module, there were assignments along with an objective test that acted as the key to opening the next module. I liked the pace at which the lectures were delivered, and it was easy to follow what the instructor was teaching. What I loved about the training was its personalised nature; there were different projects for students pursuing civil, electrical, and mechanical engineering.

The training ended, and I started looking for relevant internships. One of my professors had put up a notice inviting interns to help him with a project he was developing. The initial screening was based on our CGPA, after which eligible students were called in for an interview. I had expressed my interest in the designing of this project, so most of the questions in the interview revolved around design fundamentals and AutoCAD. Some of the questions he asked me were:

1. What are the different steps involved in design?
2. What is ergonomics?
3. What is the function of limits in AutoCAD?
4. Explain the difference between relative and absolute coordinate methods for drawing a line?
5. What’s the command for changing the appearance of a point in AutoCAD?
6. How do we use blocks and arrays in AutoCAD?
7. How do we create isometric drafting in AutoCAD?

While most of the students found the interview grilling, I was pretty confident while answering the questions, since I had already learnt all those things as part of the training. Soon enough, I heard from the professor about my selection. The research project I am currently working on involves the synthesis and analysis of a fuel-efficient, eco-friendly 4-stroke combustion ignition, turbocharged, air-cooled, combustion engine.

The main objective of this project is to design an engine for next-generation automobiles. There are four groups working on this project – design, thermal analysis, analysis of design, and feasibility of production. I work with the design team and am responsible for coming up with the structure of the engine and creating 2D drafts and 3D models accordingly. Had it not been for the online training I took in AutoCAD, I wouldn’t have gotten this internship. Thank you, Internshala, for helping me get this opportunity.

About the Author: Rhythm Bhatta, a student of National Institute of Technology, Durgapur, joined Internshala Trainings for an AutoCAD training. He shares how the training helped him get an opportunity to design a combustion engine. This article was first published on Internshala, an internship and training platform.