Cyclone Amphan Update: Toll Over 80, Compensation Announced For West Bengal, Odisha

Cyclone Amphan made landfall on May 21 in Odisha and West Bengal causing over 45 lakh people to be evacuated. The cyclone comes as another setback amid the global COVID-19 pandemic.

According to The Hindu over 89 blocks of the state were affected by destructive winds and rain causing thousands of people to be displaced. While there has been some damage control by the disaster response force, the power infrastructure will take some time to be restored.

yellow taxis submerged on a road in Kolkata during Cyclone Amphan
Taxis submerged in an alleyway in Kolkata during Cyclone Amphan. Source: Twitter

On Friday, May 22, Prime Minister Narendra Modi held a review meeting with Chief Ministers of Odisha and West Bengal, Naveen Patnaik and Mamta Bannerjee, along with other officials of the states. He also conducted an aerial survey of the areas affected by the cyclone. After assessing the damage done, a relief fund of ₹1,000 crores for Odisha and West Bengal.

Cyclone Amphan is said to be one of the most destructive cyclones of recent times, has claimed over 80 lives as per the latest reports, and ruined crops.

The PM has also announced compensation worth ₹2 lakh to families of those killed and ₹50,000 of those injured. However, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamta Bannerjee stated that the loss is worth over Rs 1 lakh crore and said that the “the damage was much more than a national disaster“.

An additional fund of ₹500 Crores was granted to Odisha after an aerial survey of districts affected was made in the presence of Governor Ganeshi Lal and CM Naveen Patnaik.

The Prime Minister promised assistance for long-term rehabilitation once he receives a detailed report from the state governments.