This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Manisha Singh. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Potential of Thoughts

More from Manisha Singh

Thinking determines words, words determine action and action determines who we are. Thinking, perception, opinions and ideas which may seem even sub conscious many-a-times have significant connotations in life. It affects our decisions, actions, words and habits.

Thoughts are perceived as inevitable, they flow, like never ending waves. Random thoughts may pop out from one or the other object or experience around us. We can give direction to our thoughts by conscious approach and control them for our own advantage.

“A man is but the product of his thoughts what he thinks he becomes.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Mind is powerfully capable muscle which can be trained to achieve goals. We have the power to transform our thoughts into reality through constructively followed path of well planned series of thoughts ,decisions and actions.

As thinking can be controlled, we can consciously give directions to our thoughts. Sometimes there might be distractions but ultimately it is up to us to drive our thoughts to a particular direction.

The Wishing Tree: In Yogic science, the mind is referred as “Kalpvriksha” or ‘The Wishing Tree’, which refers, that our mind has capability to make wishes come true. Through constructive thoughts, planning and deeds, mind has potential to make wishes, thoughts and certain action to come true when followed in a constructive and well decisive manner. In Yogic science again, it is called as to be in a state of “Samyukti”, which means a mind can manifest whatever it chooses.

Mind can be perceived as powerful tool. We acquire experiences throughout our lifetime in every moment, personal and professional life which keep on accumulating as a collection of memories, that significantly shape our thoughts. Education and acquired knowledge also play a major role that determine our thoughts. Being in social communities, coming from various cultural background, possessing ethics and values along with self evaluation has effect to our mindset.

Humans being are social being with a number of social responsibilities and goals. Being an individual, one also has number of personal goals as well. What determine these goals? What determines the path to be followed to achieve those goals? These are all thoughts and perception if we narrow it down to their ultimate origin.

Is there a possibility to achieve something if there is no thought about it at all? Will we be able to made productive efforts if we don’t even think about our desired goals? Suppose if we think before a match that we are going to lose, then it is difficult to win because there prevails a negative thought that dominate the mind along with demotivation and self doubt. On the other hand, if one has confidence in their preparation, has practiced well and holds positive opinion about the same, they would be able to perform significantly better. In this manner, thoughts give strength to our actions.  Our mind and conscious thinking has power to motivate or demotivate us, which is evident in our performance, daily decision making and professional outlook.

It is paramount to have a constructive, realistic as well as rational thinking. If one constantly tell themselves that they are going to lose or not good in some self defined aspects, it is destructive to them. This is inferiority complex, which degrades efforts and demotivates oneself. Similarly, superiority complex can also be detrimental. Hence, one should face the reality, instead to putting bias to self or situation around them. By being open to facts and reality, one can truly perceive their current position and plan accordingly to be where they actually wish to be.

As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied to us.” ― Winston Churchill

Since our thoughts may powerfully  motivate us to realize a desired goal, it is important to have a positive outlook. With seemingly mere thoughts, one can motivate themselves by consciously following a pattern of thoughts. By positive self talk, self evaluation and will power, negative moods  can be controlled.

Thinking and dreaming: Thinking is having thoughts that may be realistic and have constructive approach to realize them in reality. One may put efforts to those ‘thinking’ to make them come true. Dreaming is different from thinking. Day dreaming is something referred to as unrealistic and utterly imagination, one may dream or put thoughts in such a way to never to attempt to put efforts constructively to make them come true. Yet some people dream and think, which may be regarded as unrealistic by most people, with innovative creativity, put efficient and conscious efforts and make those dreams come true with hardwork and dedication towards it. Only constructive thoughts with planning, materialized with efforts has potential to make ‘thinking’ come true. One should have faith in their thoughts.

We become what we think has neurobiological evidence. Thoughts establish habits in the long run, if certain series of pattern of thoughts are practised for long time. It has psychological and spiritual evidence also. While negative thoughts can be a habit, such habits can be broken with counter-habits. Both positive and negative attitude in various situation shape our mindset.

There are number of qualities that are attributes of mindset which help shape our thinking, habits and ultimately, deeds. Will power is a mindset trait that helps us achieve our goals. Having a strong will, dedication and self discipline to work towards goals of self gives a positive and realistic perception towards life situation.

Discipline of thoughts plays a major role in success. We practice discipline in our life which may be in physical aspects or responsibility, decision, urge, desire, fantasy, emotion and action. With conscious self discipline of mind, efforts get a direction towards goal. Gratification and delayed gratification along with sense of responsibility and will to control thoughts has efficient potential to shape our own desired destiny.

Thoughts are powerful. They can shape imagination, innovation, creativity, will to do work, create or destroy habits and establish oneself in life. Directly or indirectly, all our actions are determined by our thoughts, which ultimately makes us who we are in personal and professional life and everything that we achieve in lifetime.

More from Manisha Singh

By Anupma Singh

By SGT University