This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Rhea Vinod. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Hers’s A 5-Point Guide To Manage Your Period Better With Menstrual Cups!

More from Rhea Vinod

This post is a part of Periodपाठ, a campaign by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC to highlight the need for better menstrual hygiene management in India. Click here to find out more.

Not all periods are the same, sometimes, the flow is light, and sometimes, it’s heavy, this is why the menstrual cup could be the revelation that most Indian women were looking for. It could also provide women a  chance to forget about their period. Obviously, adopting a new technique of handling your period will take a while to break out of our comfort zones but, this comes with the advantage of saving all the money that you usually spend on pads and tampons, and using it to buy something you’ve had your eye on for a while. It comes with not having to deal with the uneasiness of a shifty pad or a tampon and of not having to worry about changing your pad frequently as you can easily wear the cup for around 12 hours.

Image For Representational Purpose Only

Women all across India have given the cup a chance, and after going ahead with it, the results have left its users flabbergasted. The convenience and ease it brings to our stressful periods manage to surpass all expectations. To be sure, no one is at first really comfortable with squeezing a cup into their vagina, but just like you learn how to wear a pad, this is just another neat way to tackle your periods.

Another important factor to consider while adopting this method of menstrual care is how its usage ultimately contributes beneficially to the earth as we save on all the plastic and cotton production that goes into making pads and tampons. Menstrual Cups are not only eco-friendly, they help you save up more in the long run. It can last for up to 8-10 years and does not generate as much waste as disposable menstrual products. Women all over the internet are trying to encourage the use of menstrual cups by teaching viewers how to use it and by listing its benefits. If you are curious about using the cup, and want to know more about it, here are some steps to follow:

Five Simple Steps On How To Use The Cup:

• Research – Read up on the internet and ask your friends who have used the cup before trying it.
  • Wash & Fold – Leave the cup in boiling water for 2 mins.This is done to sterilize the cup. Wash your hands and fold the dry cup.
  • Insert & Ensure– Insert it in your vagina using your thumb, index and middle finger. The natural suction created will fix the cup in position.
  • Use It For Upto 12 Hours– You can put the cup inside your vagina in the morning and only need to attend to it in the evening.  However, it is recommended to empty it at the next available opportunity.
  • Remove & Empty – Wash your hands. Pinch the base of the cup to release the suction and remove it gently. Empty the blood from the cup, rinse the cup and reinsert it.

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it! Trying something new is always hard but there are so many videos to help and advise you through each step of the way. A few helped me understand the gist of it well, providing the links below:

More from Rhea Vinod

By मनीषा सिंह

By Devyani Singh

By Charkha Features