This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Manisha Singh. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Read: A Glimpse Of Life Under Lockdown

More from Manisha Singh

We are all here in the twenty-first century. The era highly applauded as technologically and medically advanced with the contributions of past scientific revolutions. Glorified advancements that are best in class facilities of medical research, rapid testing, and distribution procedures. As the human intellect evolves, so does the microbes around us. As we are technologically transforming, so are the diseases around us evolving! Nevertheless, let’s talk about the Corona-virus pandemic that has taken over the world.

The virus has led to worldwide panic, has high contagiousness, and unfortunately surprisingly rapid symptoms and a high death toll. It has led to more than 200 counties to lock-down to prevent it from spreading, which eventually led to falling economies, crashing businesses, and affected lives of almost the entire human civilization directly or indirectly. This has never happened before at this huge worldwide scale.

Migrant labourers walking back home. Representational image.

Migrant Workers Have Been Out Of Job Since The Pandemic

Amidst the lockdown, people are realizing the essentials and necessities for survival and the concept of minimalist living. They are realizing the values of little things that hold importance in the long run. The companies involved with the essential services are boosting! Their business has increased many folds.

On the other hand, the other sectors have been affected by unprecedentedly. The travel and tourism, entertainment, sports sectors are among the worst hit, leading to a grave threat to the existing jobs of millions of people.

Even the effect of lockdown is varying for the rich and the poor. With several businesses crashing, many people have no source of daily essentials and basic resources, including migrant workers and daily wage labourers.

The effect of quarantine on the entire world as well as an individual’s personal life has been huge. As a student, being under self-quarantine under the nationwide lock-down has had considerable effects on me. The exams are postponed, conventional classes are replaced by online classes, method of studying has transformed so rapidly! We are introduced to various online learning platforms and everything is almost entirely digitalized, which implies there is going to be a significant development in online study tools and video conferencing, once the pandemic is controlled. Online gaming portals and streaming apps have gained more users as well as watch time.

Corona Changed Our Personal Lives Too

The daily schedule is also quite affected. Since there is a lot of ample time, we have time for hobbies, self-learning, personal reflection, and growth. It is the time people are coming closer to their family, as they are spending a lot of time together, exchanging ideas, playing board games, and sharing experience.

Our personal lives have undergone a stark change since the pandemic struck.

People go out only for very essential requirements and prefer digital transactions. The lockdown is also transforming the spending habits of people. Hence, a transformation of various sectors is prophesied that will shape the future global economy.

Everybody has become extremely conscious of hygiene, disinfection, and social distancing around them. People might avoid going to crowded places, markets, concerts, theaters and might switch to online shopping and entertainment options, which would invite innovative ideas for the former to develop models to earn revenue.

Amidst global self-quarantine, life has drastically changed. The quality of air and water bodies around the city is improving as the majority of industries around the world are shut. Migratory birds and aquatic animals are flourishing and even coming to the beaches, like the endangered Olive Ridley sea turtles on the coast of Odisha coming to nest in lakhs or the endangered Ganges Dolphin in the river of Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, are some of the examples out of many. Mother nature is healing and reviving itself.

More from Manisha Singh

By Sarika Verma

By Kunwar Nitin Pratap Gurjar

By Survivors Against TB