This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Yash Khandelwal. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

#4 Why the River Shambles?

More from Yash Khandelwal

WhyOnEarth logo mobEditor’s Note: Are you bothered by the drastic changes in our climate, causing extreme weather events and calamities such as the Kerala Floods? #WhyOnEarth aims to take the truth to the people with stories, experiences, opinions and revelations about the climate change reality that you should know, and act on. Have a story to share? Click here and publish.

As we trace real-time initiatives, we find that a reasonable amount of work has been done for the rejuvenation of river Yamuna by government, public, and private organizations. The Yamuna Action Plan (Phase 1 & 2), which is a bilateral tie between the Indian and Japanese government via JICA, has invested more than 800 crore rupees for cleaning the river Yamuna majorly in the states of Delhi, UP, and Haryana. Furthermore, an amount of more than 2,500 crore rupees has been invested in Delhi for eliminating the debris that reaches the river consequently, providing Delhi with a capacity for treating approximately 512 million gallons per day (MGD) sewage which can be accredited as more than 40% of the total wastewater treatment capacity of the entire nation.

The National Green Tribunal, the apex judicial body solely devoted to environmental welfare has itself been effectively monitoring the advancements made for the cleaning of the river since its inception in 2010. With evidence of incompetency amongst the departments made for the revival of the dead river,  the tribunal penalizes them for missing deadlines of the assigned agendas and asserts on drafting (and submitting) a sustainable action plan for the pollution-free Yamuna. Let’s take a glance into the governmental institutions working for the resurrection of the river.

Established by the Ministry of Water Resources in 1994 and currently a subordinate body under the ministry of Jal Shakti, Upper Yamuna River Board regulates the flow of water in river Yamuna till (including) Okhla Barrage. The board additionally keeps the records of withdrawal and returns of the river water and checks the quality of water for safe public consumption. The following are some of the key functions of UYRB:

• Maintenance of minimum volumetric flow of water in the river for the sustainment of aquatic life. Keeping an annual check on the volume of water flowing through every state in its jurisdiction.
  • Monitoring return flows of water withdrawn by Delhi for consumption. Providing water of the CPCB prescribed quality standards for safe consumption.
  • Monitoring return flows from Haryana and UP on the water withdrawn for silt extraction.
  • Keeping records of water withdrawn for municipal, domestic, irrigational and industrial purposes and supervising its returns in the Yamuna.
  • Monitoring the volume of water discharged downstream of Okhla Barrage.

The UYRB  controls the allocation of Yamuna water resources for fulfilling the consumption requirements from Hathnikund to Okhla barrage. Delhi Jal Board is a member of UYRB and hence, manages the water requirements of the Delhi region. Providing potable water to the Delhi population, maintaining a required downstream for sustainment of life, and a pollution-free Yamuna is thence DJB’s responsibility.

• Delhi Pollution Control Committee and Central Pollution Control Board

Established in 1991, DPCC is a self-regulatory body working with the Delhi Government under the supervision of the Central Pollution Control Board. Under section 4 (4) of the Water Act, DPCC monitors the amount and types of wastes dumped into river Yamuna from the metropolis. The Committee has been repeatedly providing the central board with the texture and quality of Yamuna Water on various scientific parameters. It has been identifying the major industrial pollutant in its 9 water monitoring stations and has been reporting those to NGT. DPCC also monitors the work of the STPs under DJB and reports them to CPCB. In November 2019, DPCC reported that 19 out of the 33 functional STPs do not meet the water quality criteria of the CPCB.

It is a major executive body in Delhi for identifying the source and carriers of pollution. The committee reports (and penalizes) the polluters, gives sustainable development and waste management guidelines to the industries, government, and households. Moreover it issues advisories on maintaining quality status to fellow executive bodies DJB, MCD and DDA.

• National Mission for Clean Ganga

The flagship mission of the current government to clean and rejuvenate the Ganges river system lends assistance to clean its largest tributary of River Yamuna. Under the Namami Gange mission, the NMCG has granted  Rs 2000 crores to establish 11 projects of sewage treatment plants in Delhi NCR to reduce the level of pollution in the river. The inclusion of the Yamuna river in this project would largely help the Yamuna action plan III.

Often described as phase three of the Yamuna Action Plan, “Maili se Nirmal Yamuna” is an effort to revitalize river Yamuna. The National Green Tribunal brought all the institutions functioning for cleaning river Yamuna under one umbrella, for cleaning river Yamuna by 2023, with the help of the central and state-level governments,  The project’s principal committee consists of representatives from state governments, central government representatives from MoEF and Jal Shakti ministry, DJB, DDA MCD, DPCC, and CPCB. The Committee has been guided to report its developments consistently to the tribunal.  Under this mission, action plans, roles of committees, and targets are decided.

These are some of the targets for the project:

• Provision for an environmental flow in river Yamuna throughout its course
  • Restoration of floodplains in the NCR region
  • Restoration of Stormwater drainage system in Delhi
  • Implementation of an action plan barring sewage into stormwater drains

Stringent deadlines have been assigned by the NGT to governmental organizations for proposing and fulfilling their action plans for the sustainability of a healthy water body. With major actions being taken on maintenance and creation of STPs, removal of the remaining debris, cleaning of drains, regulation of wastes produced, and environment-friendly disposal, the principal committee is aiming for cleaning the river and barring further contaminants simultaneously.

The advancements made in the direction of the project are as follows:

• Demarcation of the flood plain has been completed and an action plan is laid to set up biodiversity parks in these plains. The NGT has asserted DDA to move the slums in these floodplains and has penalized it for 5 lakhs per month for the delay.
  • UYRB drafted an action plan for maintaining 1000 cusecs upstream Delhi and DJB adopted Seechewal Model for maintaining 500 cusecs downstream from Okhla barrage.
  • Penalizing polluters with Rs 5000 for throwing waste in river Yamuna and Rs 50000 for dumping debris (industrial, municipal waste).
  • DDA has been asked to shift/ shut the industrial units from near the drains or to connect with the ETPs.
  • In 2017, CPCB conducted a quality check of river Yamuna on various parameters like pH, DO, BOD, Cod, Coliform test, Nitrates, nitrites, etc.
  • To reduce the faecal coliform level in the river, Under Swachhta Abhiyan, toilets have been constructed in Delhi.
  • Many households have been connected with adequate sewer systems in the east Delhi region to minimize household waste.
  • Maintenance of quality check 33 functional STPs and ETPs and development of 11 new STPs has been planned to increase Delhi’s sewage treatment capacity up to 945 MGD.
  • The forest department of Delhi government has pledged to plant 60,000 trees near the banks of River Yamuna, of which more than 20,000 have been planted already.

Though the framework of this project is meticulously befitting to procure a clean river, the ground report says otherwise. The tribunal has continuously been issuing notices to authorities like DDA, DJB, and MCD against hiding ground reports, failing in fulfilment of the agendas assigned, missing deadlines and even contaminating the water body themselves.

A major question that arises is if pollutants prevail in the river despite the development of such front running missions due to the negligence of public organizations, can a lack of public involvement seen in policymaking hamper its implementations too? Maybe not. Incorporating decentralization in YAP causes major developments only on papers and not on the field. In any case, some targets are being missed as a result of which river Yamuna remains polluted even today. 

More from Yash Khandelwal

By Juhi Smita

By MOHAMMAD SARTAJ ALAM

By Ethico India