This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Nishant Singh. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

With Rising Cases Of Animal Cruelty, Humans Need To Learn Humanity

An elephant in a field charging at a group of boys
As it turns out, this deliberate practice wasn’t the work of a single individual but a group of villagers in Kerala who have been using this method as a snare to fend off boars from destroying their crops.

It’s ironic to see how our hearts can still be hurt by something that we already saw coming, and hence, it’s no wonder why we, humans, are having such a terrible 2020. We are suffering from a pandemic, earthquakes, cyclones, and the fate is not at its end.

I would rather prefer to call this year more of a wake-up call for us, humans, to act more like actual humans. The paradox of the world we live in is that it has some animals with more humanity than us.

Where is this evolution heading? Our future generations might study that despite us being the most dangerous species, we once survived without any guilt about the harm that we are causing to this wonderful planet. Our nature and greed has consumed us and blinded us to such an extent that we are unable to see our own footsteps towards the destruction of mankind.

While everyone experienced yet another epiphany of animal cruelty after the news of a pregnant elephant getting killed after she ate a pineapple filled with crackers did the rounds. Here’s what most people won’t still challenge or contemplate upon:

As it turns out, this deliberate practice wasn’t the work of a single individual but a group of villagers in Kerala who have been using this method as a snare to fend off boars from destroying their crops. So, it is highly probable that this elephant wasn’t just a one-off victim of such an insensitive behaviour. These communities come up with such schemes as a last ditch effort to protect themselves. Yet, nothing justifies this indecency, and we should be ashamed as we have failed them as humans.

A question we all should ask is why this practice is still legal in Kerala. As far as the national law is concerned, capturing, trapping, poisoning or beating of any wild animal is illegal and punishable with imprisonment of up to seven years and a fine or both under the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972. Regardless of which animal it was meant for, it is still an act of cruelty since the elephant was killed by it.

Everyone’s outrage in the case is perfectly valid. But we will solve nothing if we keep on tying on the loose ends by finding a culprit to blame and expect the practice to magically disappear. That’s what the media wants us to believe. They want you blinded. It is because this elephant was killed as much by those villagers as it was by our punctured ethics and ecocide.

As for the overall growing cases of animal cruelty, we need a strong advocacy for stricter laws and non-bailable warrants. What we frown upon are paltry dents in a larger morally corrupt human ecosphere, which just happen to be recorded and reported. There is a need to revive the education system and to coach the kids on the importance of nature and wildlife and the dangers of committing unmitigated ecocide.

Also at the same time, we need to get involved and challenge the government on their policies, actions and lapses in rules and regulations. It is of utmost necessity and great importance to tilt the focus on otherwise diluted important events of climate changes, wildlife and forest protection to deem them responsible. Remember that responsibility starts at home.

1. Neha Sharma

Very well written and yes we have lost our way……. We truly need ro act more humane!

1. Nishant Singh

Indeed! Thank you for your appreciation

2. Harshit Kumar

Awesome words…. This need to be proposed as a better platform..🤘🙏🙏🇮🇳🇮🇳💓

1. Nishant Singh

Thank you Harshit and don’t worry we ought to bring the change.

3. Khushi Singh

Very nicely articulated… It gives a quite awakening message to us

1. Nishant Singh

Thank you for your appreciation…..and yes we need to wake up now….. it’s high time now we take the wheel in our hands

4. bhupendra kumar

Gr8 Nishant good going keep it up.

1. Nishant Singh

Sure thing……stay tuned

5. dharmendra kumar

The article is very rightly written and the flow of ideas is just perfect…..keep up the good work and write as much as possible.

1. Nishant Singh

Thank you so much……Glad you liked it

6. Aishwarya Agarwal

A really thought provoking and well written article. Kudos!

1. Nishant Singh

Thanks dear….

7. Lalit Goyal

Great sirji 👍👍

1. Nishant Singh

Thank You sir

8. Kumar Ankesh

It become a question to mankind, Why the hierarchical power relations between humans and animals exempt us from moral responsibility towards them? Why has cruelty to other organisms become an essential aspect of human nature? I would never say humans have started behaving like animals which they can never be… Animals are way more ethical than the human we see now. And yes indeed we need to have stricter laws to hunt down this so called literate human beings who just enjoys doing such inhuman acts… 🙏
    Any yes Nishant. Its well written. I really appreciate this article. Thankfully someone is there to bring this up. Keep writing and keep moving.. We can start a revolution against such cruelty.
    In the end, as i have always been saying.. EVERY LIFE MATTERS.
    🙏😊

1. Nishant Singh

Thank You bhaiya for your enlightening words and yes we will bring the change💯

9. Pankaj Dolse

good work nishant you the best life awakening message to …

10. Soni Kumari

Artical is very rightly & good going keep it up…….

1. Nishant Singh

Yess…..thank you

11. jhunjhun wala

Nicely described, a message for us to awake, good effort, keep it up

1. Nishant Singh

Thank you so much….

More from Nishant Singh

By World Animal Protection

By World Animal Protection

By Yashi Saksena