The human species has constantly been at war with something or someone for their survival. Our first opponents were animals with whom we competed for food and survival. Then when we emerged as winners, we started a battle with each other. The planet saw World War I and II in the past century. Now that we have formed international treaties and alliances, we have resolved most of our internal issues. Now we are up against the forces of nature. We are tackling climate change. The dreadful consequences of our wrongdoings are already visible in forms of droughts, floods, and extreme meteorological phenomena.
In order to combat climate change and its worst effects, the contribution of each and every human is crucial. Because only by our collective efforts will we be able to win this fight. Therefore we must stop exploiting our planet and start healing it by switching to an eco-friendly lifestyle.
Here Are 10 Simple Eco-Friendly Habits Which We Can Implement In Our Lifestyle-
- Energy Conservation– It is one of the most important things you can do to reduce pollution levels. Switching your electrical appliances ‘off’ can save incredible amounts of energy. And its best outcome is not just energy conservation but the reduction in your electricity bills too!
- Switching to renewables– It is one of the best eco-friendly habits one can introduce to their lifestyles. Many people have already turned to solar power for their domestic electricity needs which are both eco-friendly and cost less than the usual power grid.
- Don’t waste food– Did you know that 50,000 crores worth of food is wasted every year in the country. This is not just a huge waste of food and money but it adds to the amount of CO2 being created in landfills.
- Save water– There is an acute shortage of clean drinking water worldwide. One of the simplest eco-friendly habits is to save water. Also, we can use ‘used water’ for multiple purposes. One such example is using the water residue of Air Conditioners to water the plants.
- Recycle– Before you throw it away, take a minute to find out if you could recycle it instead. Most of the things that we throw out can be fixed and reused.
- Cut out plastic– Plastic has proved to be mother nature’s number one enemy. The lesser we consume plastic, the more eco-friendly it will prove to be.
- Using efficient appliances– Using energy-efficient appliances will not only save you from electricity bills but can prove eco-friendly too. Using LED bulbs over normal ones is a common example.
- Using public transports– Automobiles are amongst the leading causes of air pollution. To counter this, we should prefer public transport over private ones. This not only causes less pollution but can save you from your fuel bills.
- Plant trees– Planting trees is widely considered one of the best eco-friendly activities. This not only provides us with fresh air but we can also use it to obtain vegetables for your kitchen.
How Did The Lockdown Impact Environment In India?
Amidst the coronavirus pandemic, when the nation faced a lockdown. The pollution levels decreased drastically. Seeing this, many people have suggested that such a lockdown should be held annually so that the environment can breathe a sigh of relief. It can be of one day, keeping in mind its effects on the economy. Even if the government does not implement such a scheme, we all can do it ourselves, by committing to an eco-friendly lifestyle and imposing complete lockdown on ourselves by prohibiting ourselves from doing any activity which may result in pollution. And promoting all of these ten eco-friendly habits.
About the author: Aaditya is an inquisitive XII grade science student from Eastwood International School, Doomwali, Punjab. He is a nature lover, and has his own YouTube channel ‘The Viking Show’.