This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Raj Iyre. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

How Can India Avoid Its Border Conflicts?

More from Raj Iyre

It’s heartening to know that the government has mentioned that it wants to resolve the disputed border territory matters as soon as possible. However, bringing in words like ‘pride’ or ‘dignity’ shows that you think of the earth as some supernatural, godly creature which should be prayed to.  This will guarantee that negotiations aren’t heading anywhere.

The intrusions, this time, may subside yet again. Let’s talk Nepal. I just learnt that they’re reviving a 200-year-old map to show that some territory of theirs is not what they control now, and they want it back. Well, hm.

Image used for representational purposes only.

It’s always a bit murky to bring old maps in. First, the Government of India as it exists today is a mere 70 years old. Thus, unless there are human rights violations to deal with, the government as it exists today cannot be held accountable for such past actions. Even if there is the same entity or government that is 200 years old, yet these people at that time were probably thinking of how to improve lives for themselves and the territory they run for another 20-30 years. So, after this period, it would still be unfair to put the responsibility of what has passed to what is present. Thus, maps that are over 50 years old are best if disregarded.

If such negotiations break down, it’s suggested to have a plebiscite. This is a beautiful democratic answer. Ask the people.

I know the GoI is too thick-headed for plebiscites but it’s a rational way to ensure justice. The same could well be applied to the whole disputed state of Arunachal Pradesh. Lastly, you could go to the international court to resolve the border matter with Nepal. I feel certain they would agree too. Now, all of these require intuition and courage. You cannot stick to howling ‘the protection of dignity’ when you enter the negotiation chamber; it’s a dead end. China thinks in a similar manner.

I don’t expect to change your mind a lot even if you’ve read this Mr Prime Minister; it was worth a write-up.

Relations With Sri Lanka 

Sri Lanka is probably our closest neighbour and there’s a world of more things that could possibly be done to improve defences together, especially. Firstly, it would be worthy of dissuading them from allowing the Trincomalee Port from being a docking station for Chinese warships. China wants to hand in debt to other needy nations, and use it as leverage to get influence in their national matters, and when China wants to use some resource etc. of this nation, they will ask for it.

It’s worthy telling Sri Lanka that they’re just pouring money on them to one fine day, ask for a docking station for their warships when they have some matter to manage in South Asia. It’s not worth taking this. How about a combined military exercise involving Sri Lanka? Better defences and better training for troops.

There could be duty-free trade between SL and India. It reminds me of Franklin Roosevelt’s doctrine of ‘peace with commerce’.

Bangladesh

Relations with them are a bit stiff. Maybe we could try to improve trade ties (for which it’s imperative that you understand the beauty of freedom of trade) and let them know of the debt trap that’s involved with the Belt and Road Initiative of Xi Jinping. Clear all border murkiness with recent maps backed by legal claims based on sound principles of international law. What more?

That’s about all. However, I want to stress on the need to approach others! You cannot say ‘little Nepal should beg for an appointment’. They’ve joined the Belt and Road, have a border dispute with us which is getting worse, and likely would not hesitate for military intervention by China if they found it necessary, SO – call on them.

Call on them. They would feel great. I guarantee it.

More from Raj Iyre

By Zakir Ali Tyagi

By Deeksha Pandey