This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Gunjan Khadria. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Why Do We Still Insist That Only Women Menstruate?

More from Gunjan Khadria

This post is a part of Periodपाठ, a campaign by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC to highlight the need for better menstrual hygiene management in India. Click here to find out more.

Our society views menstruation as ‘women’s thing’. It is seen as something only cisgender women experience. But that’s not the case; not everyone who gets a period is a woman, and not every woman menstruates!

Transgender Men And Non-Binary People Bleed Too

Women go through a hard time opening up about their periods. It’s even more exhausting for the transgender and non-binary people. This is greatly attributed to us as a society—failing to have a normal conversation about periods.

Cass Bliss Holding a sign that says periods are not just for women #bleedingwhiletrans
Credits: @tonithetampon/Instagram
We have been programmed to think that periods exclusively affect women. This promotes a myth that they don’t affect men and can be stigmatising for transgender men who menstruate. On the other hand, transgender women are excluded because of the link that is created between menstruation and the idea of femininity. The societal model of womanhood still rests upon reproduction and children.

Transgender model and activist Kenny Ethan Jones states in his article that “Having a period already causes me a lot of [gender] dysphoria, but this dysphoria becomes heightened when I have to shop for a product that is labeled as ‘women’s health’ and in most cases, is pretty and pink.” And in general, when the products are categorised as women’s products, they might feel alienated and may avoid purchasing.

The hurdles some transgender men face include the high cost of period supplies, lack of access to the products, safety concerns and inadequate medical care. This can also be seen in just about every advert for sanitary napkins in India, featuring only cisgender women. This also may cause transgender men to shy away from menstrual hygiene services, which can otherwise help in their discomfort.

Then there is the usage of public toilets which are gender-specific. Again, they may fear being exposed by carrying tampons or pads and the sound of opening the product in restrooms leading to unwanted attention or violence and having the real challenge of discarding the used products, having such no facilities in men’s bathrooms. According to a 2015 survey conducted in the US, it was found that 60% of transgender respondents reported being too afraid to use public restrooms due to fear of confrontation and 12% reported being verbally harassed while accessing a bathroom.

The data is shocking. We can construct a similar scenario in India in 2020. Though menstrual hygiene management guidelines under the Swachh Bharat Mission 2015 do mention providing separate toilets for transgender folks, it is still a far fetched reality!

Time To Start A Discussion

We barely have a society which allows women to speak openly about their periods without hushing and shushing, especially in the presence of a male company— diminishing a chance for the other genders to speak and share their feeling on menstruation. In terms of language, using the term ‘menstruator rather than ‘women menstruating can be influential in changing the perception of menstruation. It can lead to trans-inclusivity and period positivity.

3 people looking at a sanitary pad
Art for YKA by Arnica Kala

When menstruation gets essentialised as a woman’s thing, menstruators are excluded from benefits by the government as we saw during the pandemic. Amidst the prolonged current lockdown, one in three girls finds it hard to search for sanitary products, according to Pacific. People may avoid going to the market to buy essentials in fear of getting exposed to Covid-19, and women are forced to use unhygienic methods, increasing their risk for reproductive and urinary tract infection.

All the data on menstruation hygiene during the pandemic is discussing women’s menstrual health and rarely any media coverage is saved for transgender people, who are incredibly vulnerable during such unprecedented times. The government had classified sanitary napkins as non-essential items, even after the reversal of the ruling, accessibility for cis-women was a problem, so for marginalised groups, this was further a problem. Fear of access, lack of medical care put them into a fragile state. Care has to be taken to ensure menstrual health for all and not just one gender.

The author is a part of the current batch of the #PeriodParGyan Writer’s Training Program

1. Divya Yadav

Even after being in the twenties, I had never thought about the struggles of Transgenders during menstruation. Thank you for bringing this to light @GunjanKhadria

2. Zoya Hussein

*Slow claps*
    Let’s call these people menstruators, or maybe ovulators or birth givers. As if it wasn’t dehumanising enough that women are treated as untouchables when they menstruate-, not allowed to enter temples for they’re “polluting”, not allowed to enter kitchens or even homes. If only they could “identify out” of their biology! Not more female foeticide! No more rapes! No more child marriages!

Let’s instead debate on semantics. Who cares about rights?! Who cares that thousands of intersex children who DO menstruate- are abandoned by their families to Hijra communities where they live a life of sex work, face violence!

How great it must be to be a an upper class transperson, who cares more about the fact that he has to contend with going into the “women’s” section (eww) than the fact that millions of “women” do not even have access to menstrual hygiene.

And this is progress?

3. Zoya Hussein

I don’t think calling humans menstruators is going to stop misogyny rooted in biology. Menstruation is considered polluting and hence women are not allowed into kitchens, homes or temples during this time. There is shame associated with women’s bodies- manusmriti for instance considers women’s bodies to be sinful. And changing your gender identity does nothing for the vast swathe of “people who menstruate-” and continue to face oppression and discrimination.
    Maybe we should be fighting against untouchability, lack of access to menstrual hygiene products for vast number of poor women, rather than talking semantics.

You may quote a US study, but please understand that the problems that Indian Women and transgender community faces is vastly different. Girls are not able to complete their education because THERE ARE NO TOILETS in schools. In rural India, vast number of women have to go outside to relieve themselves where they are often harassed or worse sexually assaulted and killed.

Please do not reduce women to be menstruators, ovulators or birth givers.

More from Gunjan Khadria

By Jaishree Malik

By Vanshika Bhatt

By KASHVI CHANDOK