This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Sejal Gupta. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

This Pandemic Is Turning Up To Be Another Hurdle For Girls’ Education

More from Sejal Gupta

This post is a part of Back To School, a global movement supported by Malala Fund to ensure that access to education for girls in India does not suffer post COVID-19. Click here to find out more.

Today I read a newspaper headline “All-girls robotics team in Afghanistan designs low-cost ventilator“. It was not at all astonishing for me. Why? Because I believe girls are performing better and are capable of achieving and doing a lot more.

On the other hand, if we pay attention to education for girls during and after Covid-19, it seems worse. Stress, anxiety, depression, job losses of family members have led to rapid dropouts of students, especially girls. If we look back to the ancient times of Maharani Laxmi Bai and other such queens of our land, it sets an example to the bold, fierce and fearless attitude of women those days.

online classes-girl-student-class-phone
Image credit: Getty Images

Even if we notice today, we have a list of talented women in every field, be it sports, science, politics, media, films, corporate sector etc. In contrast to this, it’s astonishing in our modern times to witness people who tag girls as a “burden” and “good for nothing” – except for household chores and taking care of the house, getting pregnant and feeding their offsprings and husband.

I fail to understand why are girls a burden? Are they born with a tag on their forehead that says “I am not an asset. I am someone’s else’s property after some years. So, don’t waste your money, time and energy investing it on me.” This is what we as a society, believe and end up, not sending girls for any education at all.

Education for girls has always been the underestimated subject in our Indian culture. This pandemic has added an extra layer to it by locking up all the schools, educational institutions and closure of mid-day meals for rural children.

Access to mobile phones and other gadgets is another serious concern that has led to a rapid dropout of girls from schools. Additionally, the uncertainties have led to fear amongst families resulting in no more education and school for girls. Instead, leaving just two options, either get married or perform household chores and be a part of a family’s income.

The situation is serious; steps need to be taken to bring those girls back to school during and after this crisis subsides. A three-pronged approach has to be adopted.

• Firstly, make education a priority rather than household chores for girls; ladkiya ghar k kaam kaaz k liye nahi bani hai! (Girls are not just born for household labour).
  • Secondly, access to tools and equipment for e-learning is a must. The approach of the Kerala government can be a lesson. They are providing TV sets to rural households so that the crisis does not hamper the education of children. More and more girls should have access to the online mode of learning to continue their studies with stability.
  • Lastly, Awareness programmes targeting the change in the thought process of girls and their families regarding education is the need of the hour.

Let’s not forget “education is the biggest strength of any girl and girls are an asset to our nation.” They can be the world’s great leaders in every aspect with a proper base of education. So take every step possible to make them familiar with their right to education and bring them close to their shattering dreams during and after this tough time.

More from Sejal Gupta

By Javed Jaffri

By Ananya Tiwari

By Vedika Jain