This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Gulraj Bedi. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

‘Dil Bechara’ Is A Heartwarming Tale That Will Leave You In Tears

More from Gulraj Bedi

Sushant Singh Rajput’s untimely death has transformed Dil Bechara into something more than just a film. The film marks the last hurrah of an actor whose promising career was cut short in the most horrific way possible. The viewers would no longer be able to witness that charming smile of his, alas! Anything one says about Sushant Singh Rajput’s passing would be an exercise in futility for what can be meaningful about the death of a chap so young?

For once, allow me the liberty to look beyond what I see. This time around, it’s not about taking a closer look at the film, but about celebrating the life of a man who left us way too soon.

An Overview:

The film is the official Hindi remake of The Fault in Our Stars, and stars Sushant Singh Rajput and Sanjana Sanghi in the lead roles. The movie deals with the life of a girl named Kizie Basu. All she wants is a perfectly ‘normal’ life, but thyroid cancer ends up complicating matters.

Just as Kizie, Manny too has a story to tell. Having survived osteosarcoma, this guy has a larger-than-life attitude and dances like a dream. The two share a special bond and fall in love before Kizie’s health begins to deteriorate. To top it all, the movie narrates the story of a romantic couple that has endured pain and suffering with grit and determination.

The Storyline:

If you’ve read the novel, then you already know how the story goes. Even though the movie’s story has a charming look and feel, the melancholy engulfing it is bound to leave you in tears.

No prizes for guessing: the film opens up with the shot of a funeral. Accompanying the opening shot is a voice-over by Kizie, which says: ‘Ek tha Raja, Ek thi Rani. Dono marr gaye, khatam kahaani’. Simply put, traces of pessimism would come to light and various junctures throughout the course of the movie.

It is a story of a girl who wants to lead a ‘normal’ life, but her illness ends up playing spoilsport. Melodrama is an important ingredient that ends up adding a lot of flavour to the story. However, there are times when all of this melodrama ends up getting the better of you.

The movie is an official remake of ‘The Fault in Our Stars’

Performances:

First thing’s first, Sushant Singh Rajput looks stunning as the bubbly lad from Jamshedpur. Even an amputated leg cannot subdue his desire to be lively. It’s an absolute joy to watch Sushant on screen. Boy, I’m going to miss that infectious smile of his. Those free-flowing dance moves are bound to stay with the viewers for a long, long time. Sushant’s presence is fresh and heart-warming. There are times when he’d make you laugh your throats out.

Also, there are moments when Sushant tries to play a ‘cool dude’. For instance, there is a scene wherein he bombards a girl’s house with eggs. Well, that’s because she ditches Manny’s best friend. A bubble of energy can be seen surrounding Sushant at various junctures during the course of the film.

Sanjana Sanghi, who plays Kizie Basu, is the heart and soul of Dil Bechara. The movie, for the most part, revolves around the battle she’s fighting. Her medical condition makes it impossible for her to lead a normal life. Despite her illness, sympathy just doesn’t end up crawling into the frames. Here’s a girl who has lived a life full of pain and suffering, and Sanjana aces the act. She makes the viewers believe in whatever she is going through.

Her performance is promising for the most part, but there are times when her pessimism ends up overpowering the positives.

Music:

AR Rahman’s music is one of the film’s major highlights. Most of the songs featured in the soundtrack are easy on the ears. The movie’s title track is the pick of the lot. The lyrics are free-flowing, and so is Sushant Singh Rajput.

AR Rahman has composed the film’s music

Direction:

Mukesh Chabbra does a decent job behind the camera. All of the landmarks in and around Jamshedpur have been captured on camera with great skill and prowess. Right from the iconic Tata Steel Plant to the ever-popular Payal Cinema, all of the city’s major attractions have been captured on camera. Manny and Kizie explore the bite-sized joys of life during their time together, and the city of Jamshedpur plays the perfect host.

The movie seems a bit rushed at times. Also, the runtime could have been stretched a bit in order to make room for some heart-warming moments. Quite surprisingly, Dil Bechara is shorter than the original by about 20 minutes. Despite a few minor flaws, the movie deserves a watch. Watch it for Sushant Singh Rajput, an actor who had the courage to punch well above his weight.

Rating: ***/5

Picture courtesy: Pinterest

More from Gulraj Bedi

By Simran Pavecha

By Gulraj Bedi

By haritha kr