This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Saarthak Dulgaj. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Here Are Some Scientific Myths Behind The Architecture Of Hindu Temples

You may have come across many articles and videos where they give scientific reasons behind the geography and architecture of temples. Their choice of explanation makes you feel that it is very scientific — they cleverly use appealing scientific words like energy, vibration, magnetic field and electric field, amongst others.

The most persistent rumour is that temples were purposely constructed at a place where the Earth’s magnetic wave densely pass through. Apparently, these temples are located strategically at a place where there is abundant positive energy from the magnetic and electric wave distribution of the north/south pole thrust.

Before jumping into the discussion about myths on Hindu temples, first, we should try to understand how these magnetic fields and electric fields originated on Earth and how they interact with the human body.

As we know, iron is a magnetic material and the Earth’s core is filled with iron in a molten state, which generates a magnetic field on Earth. This is why we call our blue planet a giant magnet. Earth is surrounded by an infinite number of charged particles, or ions, and these particles, present in the core of Earth, are the source of electric field lines.

Image has been provided by the author.

F= qE + q(v x B),

where F is the force exerted by the electric field E and magnetic field B on the charged particle q moving with the velocity v.

This is the famous Lorentz Equation that describes the effect of the magnetic and electric field on charged particles. The first term is contributed by the electric field, while the second is contributed by the magnetic field. Our body contains charged particles, and nerve cells communicate through electric signals, which can get affected by the magnetic and electric field.

Now, let’s talk about some myths surrounding Hindu temples.

Temples are found deliberately at places where abundant positive energy is available from the magnetic and electric wave conveyances of north/south post push. The main idol is placed at the core centre of the temple, known as ‘Garbhagriha’, ‘Garbhagriya’ or ‘Moolasthanam’. In fact, the temple structure is built after the idol has been placed. This moolasthanam is where Earth’s magnetic waves are found to be maximum.

Positive energy? What does that really mean? It sounds very scientific and attractive, surely. Energy is the measurement of the ability to do work. If this magnetic field is concentrated in temples and gives out so-called positive energy, then people who live at the magnetic poles must have this energy, too.

Earth is a giant magnet. It has magnetic North and South poles, where the magnetic field of lines are in a dense state. People who claim dense magnetic field in temples fraudulent because they don’t have any measurement to prove their claims. It is impossible to find a magnetic field in dense state at a small place such as the moolasthanam. Magnetic poles are spread over kilometres.

“Copper plates are buried at the moolasthanam that absorb the Earth’s magnetic field and radiate it out to the surroundings.”

Copper is a non-magnetic material, whereas iron, cobalt and nickel are attracted to magnets, as their magnetic permeability is very high. Copper doesn’t radiate magnetic field lines.

Remove footwear before entering the temple because temples are places that contain pure vibrations of magnetic and electric fields with positive energy. It will be easy to pass positive energy through the feet.”

There is nothing like positive or negative vibrations. Vibrations are simply vibrations — the to and fro motion of particles. Superconductors are the only materials that show obstacles to a magnetic field.  Magnetic field lines can penetrate any material except superconductors. If these waves are present, then removing footwear before entering a temple is unscientific.

Our body contains charged particles that can be affected by the magnetic field. If this magnetic field gives out so-called positive energy, then it will be better to go to the magnetic North or South poles. And surely, people who live there must be full of this positive energy.

You may visit the temple because of religious faith, but there are no scientific reasons to visit a Hindu temple.

About the author: Saarthak Dulgaj is a research scholar, School of Physics at the University of Hyderabad. 

More from Saarthak Dulgaj

By joshua daniel

By malvika

By Riddhi Morkhia