This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Geetika Gaurav. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Government Inaction And Widespread Suffering: Why Is The Janta Sleeping?

More from Geetika Gaurav

Every political party performs the best when in opposition and forgets everything the moment it takes over the central government. Be it the Gandhi clan or the now saffronised Modi—none of them remembered their duties the moment they took charge. As I often joke, in times of crisis, they are not able to do anything because they are not in the opposition. 

Former Congress president Rahul Gandhi interacts with migrant workers near Sukhdev Vihar flyover in Delhi on Saturday.||Credits: The Hindu

I saw a photograph of Rahul Gandhi sitting with migrants and I thought that these politicians have become so predictable (after having studied their ruling patterns) that I don’t even feel like laughing at their cheap tactics. Even worse is the realisation of the fact that people fall prey and get carried away by irrelevant public relations strategies drafted exclusively to gather votes.

Coming back to the ruling government: With amazing marketing officers like Goswamy, Sudhir and Devgan sitting in the newsrooms acting as journalists and shouting out Modi metaphorically, there is no chance that the public realises the damage being done behind the facade of beautifully written words spoken in elongated speeches meant to misguide people.

Basically, it is not about any party.

The question is: why are we as Janta (voters and tax payers) so oriented towards a party? Why doesn’t every status on social media have a question being raised about the plight of the migrants, so that the IT cells can report to their masters about the wave heating up, and the centre starts feeling the pressure and does something serious about it?

My point was the same when Congress was ruling. Why are we blinded by the love for our leaders? Why not make leaders out of our soldiers and make the country a priority so that anyone who is elected at the centre feels the pressure of having to deal with a wise Janta, and thus fulfill their duties. It is the only point I have been trying to make for almost a decade now.

The moment I came across the plight of the migrants, I didn’t blame the governments; instead what infuriated me was the Janta that is so comfortable in the skin of the followers of a party that they do not feel the need to question the rights and the wrongs the moment their favourite leader is up there making announcements.

Leaders are made through public relations strategies by political parties. The media is nothing but a marketing office for these parties. Why believe in any of them?

Why not think rationally and question every party and leader alike to ensure, after many years of being independent, we make them realise that they are answerable to the voters, irrespective of it being Gandhi or Modi or Kejriwal or anyone else.

They are ‘public servants’ and it is high time that they start feeling like one. But that will happen only when people start raising the right questions. It is unfortunate that a handful of useless people in newsrooms are fooling 135 crores of us, because we are sleeping comfortably. Why is the Janta sleeping?

More from Geetika Gaurav

By Ronak Aazad

By Mister August