This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by PRADEEP SARANGDHARAN. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Read About Our Year-Long Battle Against A Mobile Tower Installation

Against Mobile Tower Installation

#AgainstMobileTowerInstallation

We are residents of Mahabali Nagar, Kolar Road Bhopal (M.P). The President of this society, last year, purchased one of the houses for sale in our society. He then signed an agreement with a telecom company to install a mobile tower atop this premises without taking a No-Objection Certificate (NOC) from the society. Our society members are strictly against the installation of this mobile tower in our society keeping in mind the number of health hazards associated with the radiations emitted by these towers.

When we all came up with a written application and approached the society president on April 29, 2019, and he assured us that he will ask the mobile company to remove the tower in the next 4 days. But, nothing of that sort happened, and the installation work of the mobile tower was carried out late-night when everyone was asleep.

We have read about various cases online and found references that no mobile towers can be installed in a residential area without the permission of the Resident Welfare Association present there. In this case, there’s even a school just opposite the plot on which this tower was being installed. We are really concerned about the health hazards being posed by this tower.

Profit gainers will argue that it does not have health hazards as there are no cases to prove this point. My question is: Can you give us a 100% guarantee that there would not be any health hazards from the tower that is to be installed in a densely populated residential area like ours?

Residents Opposing Mobile Tower Installation

In our case, our voices are not being heard because the society president himself is carrying out these activities without the consent and approval of the society members. We have submitted a copy of this complaint with signatures of more than 50 residents (more will join this campaign in coming days) of our society to the Bhopal Collectorate, the BMC Commissioner, and the Registrar of Societies, Bhopal.

We are not sure, how much of our voices will be heard by the top government officials. We are simple citizens with a grievance that only has the support of the members of our society and no official backing to halt this construction that is going on without our consent.

All we can do is to raise this issue to the top-most level and hope for support. The worst part is that we are getting calls from the concerned mobile company executives who are harassing, saying if we do not let them install the mobile tower then they will file for compensation against us. This kind of harassment is unacceptable to us as citizens of a democracy and we will raise our voice.

Residents Against Mobile Tower Installation

The company we are talking about is a leading provider of telecom services in India and we all have high regards for them as a brand. We believe that their business ethics are not based around harassing people and forcing them to live by wielding a sword. We are not against the installation of mobile towers but we all just don’t want this to be installed on any of the houses within our society since it’s a densely populated residential area. The company should consider the health issues associated with mobile towers and ensure that these are not installed in densely populated areas.

Even when the world is fighting a long unending battle with COVID-19, here we are fighting a lone battle which has long term health implications. But, no one, be the government officials, service providers, or even the house owner, is concerned about these issues. Everyone is busy churning the money wheel and gain maximum monetary benefits out of this and in the process putting the lives of so many people at risk.

Our issues were also reported in a leading Daily Newspaper in Madhya Pradesh:

News in Daily Newspaper

This is NOT about a small residential society in the heart of India within the City of Lakes, Bhopal – It’s really about what’s important to all of us as a SOCIETY.

IS MONEY MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE HEALTH AND LIVES OF PEOPLE IN OUR SOCIETY?

This question begs to be answered by EVERYONE.

We really hope that the top management of this Mobile Company, as well as Top Government officials in Bhopal, will understand our concerns and get the mobile tower removed from these premises with immediate effect.

It’s been more than a year now and the battle for us goes on.

We will not STOP until our voice is heard! Together all of us will do what it takes to make sure our voices are heard.

What kind of a democracy are we when one person (owing to his contacts) has over 150+ people who are against the installation of this mobile tower?

Is anyone hearing us? Please help us.

More from PRADEEP SARANGDHARAN

By Bashiruddin Faruki

By Navya Shorey

By Manya Srivastava