This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by thechapakhana. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

The Feminist’s Choice: Stop Confirming To Gender Roles

More from thechapakhana

I am sure most of us have gone through a meme/post/image where a thin line of comparison is drawn between two separate scenes. On one hand, stands a working female presumably an army officer and on the other hand, some girls in mini-skirts, partying. The reason I mentioned the mini-skirt is that that is what becomes the basic idea of feminism for most of us. Confusing, right?

For those who say that the girl in the left displays true feminism and those just partying/talking about it don’t have any right to say that, know that feminism in itself is subjective. A woman from a lower-middle-class family aspires to hold a job, sustain her livelihood, and live life with confidence and pride, without being dependent on anyone.

While on the other hand, a woman from a rich family chooses not to work and chooses to be a housewife, looks after her kids, her husband, and goes to parties as well, wearing whatever the hell she wants. In both cases, both the females do whatever they want, without being questioned. Feminism then means that a woman can choose to be the CEO and mother at the same time and she shouldn’t be questioned for that. It’s like the Prime Minister of New Zealand, Jacinda Ardern, she is the one who fought climate change, pandemic, terrorist attacks and all of this while holding a baby in her hand.

Now comes some households who affirm that ‘we allow our females to work/ got to parties’. To those households I ask, who are you to allow? In marriages and all social, political, economic, and cultural spheres, women and men deserve equal treatment. Don’t mistake me for a pseudo-feminist, I don’t want to say that if men smoke, women should smoke too. I am saying that a man smoking shouldn’t be considered as masculine and a woman as not being for a good family.

With the right to equality and feminism comes a choice, in front of men and women. A man can choose to be a homemaker and he shouldn’t be questioned while the female in his house can be the bread earner and not subjected to derogatory comments.

Featured image is used for representational purposes only.

1. Rahul Das

Eloquently narrated

More from thechapakhana

By Karthika S Nair

By Pramila Tripathi

By Rahul Das