This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Geetika Gaurav. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

The Big Picture : Fighting Drug Menace

More from Geetika Gaurav

Everyone is busy discussing drugs in Bollywood but no one wants to talk about the increasing problem of drug addiction among the youth and above all the easy availability of drugs across the country in states like Punjab, Haryana, parts of Himachal UP (especially education hubs like Dehradun), Mumbai, Pune (another education hub), Bangalore and ofcourse, Goa. These places are just the talked-about ones but the rest of the country too majorly continues to struggle with increasing numbers of drug-users across its length and breadth.

The youth today unlike before finds it cool to talk about “maal” and considers it as the new normal since it makes them feel accepted. When we get de-addiction cases for counselling, we see them struggling with their own fancies and the most difficult part of guiding them while helping them de-addict is to steer them away from the groups that lead them into it, the ‘friend-circles‘. Drugs are running in the veins of the youth today and they have learned to live with it, especially the independent youth living away from the family homes, in urban cities.

An injecting drug user (IDU) fills a syringe with buprenorphine on a roadside in Chandigarh June 8, 2020.

Its roots can be found inside the broken families and the loneliness children go through and today I find it unfortunate that they don’t mind flaunting the fact that they are “high“. Because being high has become synonymous with being cool but both are myths.

Law Colleges, media Colleges, acting Schools, and even the top management and engineering colleges are all hubs for drug suppliers, but these are the things no one wants to talk about. Law and Order itself has become negligent about these cases. All the reports and research is swept under the carpet because kids of the top and the elite are also in the afflicted.

Efforts Made By The Government To Curb The Problem

Over the years, the governments have channeled these numb brains into focusing on other useless issues while the real issues are ignored. Even today the only battles that are fought on the screens through the media channels are political or cross border for these subjects bring TRP’s to the channels and build the image of the political parties.

The worst-hit today is the middle class for if God forbid a middle-class child falls prey to the drug mafia, the entire life of the parents and the family  ends up being destroyed.

It is high time we look at strengthening the mental conditioning of our kids so that they can be saved from evils like drug addiction. The law and order needs to be made more stringent as well. But my writing or your reading isn’t going to solve the probelm. This problem can only be solved when people finally awaken to the fact that the well being of humanity and the country need to come first and that the governments need to be reminded that this country is not a playground from a ‘game of thrones’ to be played out.

Drugs are neither funny nor cool. They just represent weak minds who are looking for an escape from harsh realities of life.

More from Geetika Gaurav

By Javed Abidi Foundation

By Kunwar Nitin Pratap Gurjar

By Survivors Against TB