Sheena Kelly

august Book Read

When Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring hit the book-stands back in the 1960s, the climate crisis was still a distant reality. And yet, the book made the right kind of noise and attracted the right kind of attention towards environmental urgencies. Cut to 2020, the talk around environmental degradation is far more pressing. Thankfully, there are a host of titles that help break down and build up the environment conversation.

To navigate better through the dense jungle of eco reads, librarian teacher and eco crusader in her own right, Sheena Kelly, brings you a bunch of 5 titles every month. Split into 5 different categories – Picture Book, Elementary, Mid-level, High-level, Adult – these books choose different styles and narratives to address the climate crisis. But it’s not all grim and dystopian (well there’s that too). There are happy tales, informative insights, actionable changes and so much more!

Introducing the August stack!

August

Picture Book

“The Lorax” By Dr. Seuss. This cautionary tale warns of the potential dangers of progress at the expense of preservation of nature. Read Now.

Elementary

“Saving Water” (Do it Yourself series)By Buffy Silverman. Describes the water cycle and outlines steps children can take to reduce their water waste. Read Now.

Middle Level

“Going Blue: A Teen Guide to Saving Our Oceans, Lakes, Rivers, Wetlands”By Cathryn Berger Kaye. Inspirational and practical, this book provides research and service learning ideas to children. Read Now.

High School

“Running Dry: The Global Water Crisis”By Stuart A. Kallen. Access to clean water, overconsumption of resources, and privatization of water supplies are some of the issues tackled in this book. Read Now. 

Adult

“The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming”By David Wallace-Wells. A call to action, this book offers a glimpse into the near future given the devastation caused by human impact on the natural environment. Read Now.