This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Sneha Singh. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

NEET Exams Could Have Been Postponed

A 19-year-old adolescent and a NEET aspirant hailing from Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu commits suicide 2 days after the Supreme court verdict to hold the exams. 15,93,452 students registered for NEET 2020 and there are total 2546 centers allotted across India. With the simple calculation, we can conclude there will be 625.86 children per center. Scary as it gets.

KCET (Karnataka common entrance test) conducted amidst the pandemic.

Out of the 1.94 lakh students who had enrolled for KCET, a total of 1.47 lakh appeared at 497 centres across the state, marking about 75% attendance. Again going my calculation it makes up to 295.77 students per center. Not even half of the students per center in NEET. So imagine the condition of the upcoming exam.

If exams are conducted, what will be the end result apart from making India the worst-hit country? Is our broken healthcare which is already unable to handle present cases would be able to take such mass toll? Will SC and NTA take responsibility for the loss of life? Many people raise a question that we have to move on as the virus is going to stay for years and if not now when we will revive the economy? What about the total effect of the examinations on the economy if the transmission of virus disseminates abruptly?

AIIMS director, Randeep Guleria said that colleges could manage one more postponement. They can keep a 6-month gap this year and next year. But it’s of no use as Government is obstinate and mulish on conducting exams.

More from Sneha Singh

By Youth Action Hub- India (Delhi)

By Shambhavi Singh