This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Sunil JI. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

How to Reduce the tax Burden

More from Sunil JI

The main source of income for any system of government is the tax levied on the people. The taxes that Indian democracy directly and indirectly collect from the people are huge. Despite the collection of additional taxes, the government is not financially adequate for governance controls, infrastructure development and social security systems. Grants from global financial institutions for financial mobilization. In addition, it receives funds from local banks and citizens through bonds. This kind of fundraising is not enough and new types of taxes are being imposed on the people. With each such tax increase, the cost of living of the people increases directly and indirectly. The prices of essential commodities are going up significantly. In effect, this is not an adornment of a declining democratic regime. It is advisable to reduce the tax burden as much as possible. Improve governance efficiency, infrastructure development and productivity. Why is this not possible in our democracy?

The people of India are generally reluctant to pay taxes. This is based on the realization that the tax money paid does not particularly benefit the country or the people. There is no infrastructure development or social security. The legal system and the system of governance provide many opportunities for people to escape without paying taxes. Tax collection is not efficient because bureaucracy is inefficient, bureaucracy is indifferent and the bureaucracy is addicted to bribery. So, the expected revenue does not reach the government treasury. The treasury will be emptied when higher salaries and other benefits are paid to the bureaucracy. Then there is no money for infrastructure development.

Democratic government must find new sources of finance to address the shortfall in tax revenue. Public sector industries, science and technology, water resources, mineral resources, etc. are all economic resources. For various reasons, our democratic government is unable to use all these effectively.

Public sector industries are said to be at a loss. These losses are due to poor governance, financial indiscipline and mismanagement. Hiring more workers than necessary puts public sector industries at a disadvantage. In a democracy, the purpose of public sector enterprises is not productivity or profit, but to give positions to the leaders of each faction in high positions under the pressure of political parties in a system of frontal instability in which governance instability persists and to strengthen political parties and their own trade unions. Bribery and commission conditions exist for the purchase of machinery, their upgrade, the purchase of raw materials for production and the sale of products. As their industrial intentions are not for profit, they have to sustain the loss-making PSUs. This causes the tax burden to increase rather than decrease.

There is no significant difference in operational objectives when it comes to public sector service industries. It is the allotment to politicians and the strengthening of trade unions. The only difference here is service marketing instead of product marketing. The idea of ​​democratic governance is that service is free. That is what bureaucratic arrogance implies. The policy is to accept if necessary. If you want to get a telephone connection, electricity connection, water supply connection or even a ration card, you have to submit applications, walk into government offices and follow in the footsteps of officials. And other necessary bribes. It is a situation where even though these are achieved with great difficulty, they do not benefit. There is also a situation where the public is not able to access the services they need. Non-transportable roads, breakdowns in power lines, shortage of medicines in hospitals, loss of transmission, loss of supply and so on.

Although essential services, their operational purpose is not only for profit and service, but also for the struggle to develop the trade union of political parties. Losses are natural when efficiency is maintained in this way.

Minerals are the precious wealth of the country. Despite the scarcity of a few minerals such as petroleum and gold, India is rich in many other minerals. Our country is rich in coal, granite, mosaic, iron ore, ilmenite, monocyte and lignite. Used effectively, it can boost the country’s economy. Tax breaks can be reduced. It has become acceptable for the ruling class to stop the mining of minerals and to oversee the mining by extorting money from private companies. Black sand, clay, granite, sand and clay are common mining materials. Mining without clear regulations can cause environmental damage. These are sources of revenue for the local self-governing bodies if they control the mining of essential mining materials under the control and authority of the local self-governing bodies with legal provisions subject to clear rules and regulations to protect the environment. In this way the tax burden can be reduced.

If used effectively like mineral wealth, forest and water resources will be an integral part of the country’s economy. This will also help reduce the tax burden. Ours is a country that gets a lot of rain water and snow water compared to other countries. If utilized through projects like hydropower, irrigation and water supply, all these will be revenue to the government. Unfortunately, most of the excess water is drained into the sea. It should be noted that there are many areas in our country where there is a shortage of basic necessities and drinking water.

Infrastructure development may not be effective with financial gain alone. Plans are effective when they are formulated in order of priority and implemented in a timely manner. The economy that the government receives is effective when it minimizes money laundering, waste of money, and waste of money. For this, planning must be efficient. Neither of these exists in our democracy. Our democracy enjoins a general policy of formulating central and state-based plans and implementing them on a local basis with priority to local self-government institutions. No such projects are prioritized on a local basis. Even when finances are spent on development, no significant development activities are seen on a priority basis. Money is spent on the construction of essential buildings and culverts. Many of these become obsolete over time. Many of these constructions become unusable and a lot of money is spent on their repairs. Many of the buildings are unused and anti-social camps. In the long run, the plans are not planned and the construction is in a state of disrepair. There is an additional financial burden of having to plan different projects at the same time and feel the financial strain of allocating funds for their implementation and not being able to complete the projects on time. In the meanwhile, the financial allocation and the misappropriation of funds are different.

If our democracy was efficient, if tax collection was effective, if public sector industries and services worked for the betterment, If mining, minerals, water and forest resources were used effectively, and projects were planned with foresight, if the financial administration had been effective, there would not have been such a tax burden on the people had it not been for the accumulation and wastage of tax revenue. Infrastructure development would have been efficient. There would have been no inflation and no black money system.

This requires democratic palmistry. Decentralization of power must take place. Bureaucracy and regulations, regulations and penalties need to be strengthened. Public sector industries and service industries should be regulated by officials with administrative skills in accordance with the rules and regulations. Lack of these in our democratic system imposes additional tax burden on the people. This remains the curse of our democracy.

Sunilji

Communication Associate

Institute for Sustainable Development and Governance

More from Sunil JI

By Sumbulkhan Khan

By Chandani Sahu

By KSHITIJ MISHRA