This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Tauqueer Ali Sabri. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

My Take On The Bengaluru Riots

More from Tauqueer Ali Sabri

The incident in Bengaluru should be unacceptable and all culprits must be identified based on evidence, not by the name or religion. This is beyond my understanding, how can someone’s faith be shaken with an FB post. If you do not like it, respond by writing, or complain to the police or cyber branch. Then, the authorities can take rapid and appropriate action.

It’s a really difficult time for humanity to survive in the time of the COVID pandemic where everyone needs compassion and solidarity. But incidents like these will certainly break the chain of humanism which all of us have demonstrated during the pandemic; everyone being taken care, all kind of people, without asking their identity.

I know many friends from across the country from different faiths or gender. They put their resources and time to help people. And they never see any distinction with anyone while reaching out to give solidarity. Yes, can’t deny the fact that at the same time people are pushing divisive agenda to polarise the society for their electoral benefits. But what is the duty of the citizen? They can understand and identify those groups.

Why don’t youth leaders from the community take charge for the social transformation of the community, where there are many things to understand beyond religion or religious believes. I am not talking about political leadership, instead, social leaders giving ways to think critically about everything. Religion or religious things are personal and I have learned from my family and education it’s this is not for the public.

But contrary to this, these days, almost everywhere in the world, religion or culture is being used for political benefits. And various governments in the world are playing on those emotions to address the hunger of the majoritarian sentiments. In such times, people should be more aware and conscious, for not being used by those forces.

There was a glimpse of some hope in Bengaluru as well, where people/youth from one community came forward to protect the religious place of other faiths. The times of India reported people formed a human chain to protect a Temple.

At present, we have loads of misinformation floating around us. People are accepting news reports based on biased and morphed sources. This leaves a lot of room for hatred and misconceptions. How can we engage with the public considering the misconceptions regarding religion or beliefs? As a society, have we lost the ability to have genuine and healthy disagreements?

This is high time for people to take a stand to save our country or society. I know many of my friends or acquaintances who do not associate themselves with this kind of hate politics, but I have not heard from them about those divisive people or groups.

More from Tauqueer Ali Sabri

By Abhimanyu Mishra

By Md Ghalib Hussain

By World Animal Protection