This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by World Animal Protection. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Elephants Not Commodities: The Shocking Reality Of Elephants Used In Tourism Industry

More from World Animal Protection

Photo credit – World Animal Protection India

New Delhi (12th August, 2020): A new report from international animal welfare organisation, World Animal Protection, exposes the dismal condition of elephants at entertainment venues in India and alarming elephant tourism trends across Asia. These trends are expected to get worse as venues try to fill the income shortfall following COVID-19.

India is home to the second-highest number of elephants used in tourism in Asia. Of the 21 venues housing 509 elephants, about 45% (225) of the elephants were kept in severely inadequate conditions.

The third edition of the report: Elephants. Not commodities, was released today on World Elephant Day. It compares research spanning a decade of elephant tourism, assessing venues across Thailand, India, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Malaysia.

According to the report, India is home to the second-highest number of elephants used in tourism in Asia. Of the 21 venues housing 509 elephants, the report found that 45% (225) of the elephants were kept in severely inadequate conditions.

“The findings of this report are truly shocking. In India, elephants are revered and are considered a heritage animal. And yet we are witnessing that there are 21 venues housing over 500 elephants for the entertainment of people. This is completely unacceptable. Elephants are wild animals, and they belong in the wild. I urge the Indian government to effectively enforce existing wildlife protection laws to stop the trade of wild animals and wild animal products,” said Gajender K Sharma, Country Director, World Animal Protection India.

In India, World Animal Protection is working to phase out elephant rides at the Amer Fort in Jaipur—where over 100 elephants are providing daily rides to thousands of tourists.

Across Asia, there are over 3,800 captive elephants in 357 elephant tourism venues. Thailand is home to three quarters of the elephants and has seen a shocking 70% increase in their number in just 10 years.

The findings are horrifying, revealing that 2,390 (63%) elephants are suffering in dire conditions at 208 venues across the countries studied. Of those, just 279 (7%) elephants are kept in high-welfare venues. This is in contrast to 2015 when 2,242 (77%) of elephants lived in severely inadequate conditions, and 194 (7%) lived in high-welfare venues.

Wild animals are traded for our entertainment, for medicine and are treated as products. This cruel trade causes the suffering of millions of animals and endangers the health of people with pandemics like COVID-19. It also has a terrible impact on our environment.

“Tourists need to know the truth—any elephant that you can get close enough to touch is an elephant that’s been subjected to horrific abuse for this use. It’s not just riding and circus-style shows that involve suffering, it’s the bathing and selfie opportunities that you might find at so-called ‘sanctuaries’, ‘orphanages’ or ‘rescue centers’. This isn’t innocent fun. This is cruelty,” said Audrey Mealia, Global Head of Wildlife at World Animal Protection

World Animal Protection has launched a global appeal to ban the trade of wild animals forever. The organisation is appealing to the leaders of G20 nations to agree for this global ban when they meet for the G20 nations summit in November.

In India, World Animal Protection is urging Prime Minister, Narendra Modi to support the global call for wildlife trade ban when he represents the country at the G20 summit.

World Animal Protection has also requested the World Health Organisation to permanently ban all wildlife markets around the globe in the wake of coronavirus pandemic and to take a highly precautionary approach to the wildlife trade.

The aggravated risk to human health caused by close contact with wild animals in the wildlife trade and entertainment can no longer be ignored.

World Animal Protection is calling on everyone, from holidaymakers to tourist operators, to take responsibility and put an end to the exploitation of wild animals forever. Less demand will mean less elephant suffering. #EndWildlifeTrade

Join us and ask Prime Minister Narendra Modi to support the call to end global trade of wild animals. Sign this petition here.

Note: The findings are part of a comprehensive report of elephant tourism trends across Asia, released today on World Elephant Day.

More from World Animal Protection

By Yashi Saksena

By World Animal Protection

By World Animal Protection