This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Wasiq Agha. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

3 Indian Companies That Are Champions Of Menstrual Rights In India

More from Wasiq Agha

This post is a part of Periodपाठ, a campaign by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC to highlight the need for better menstrual hygiene management in India. Click here to find out more.

At the intersection of menstruation and work, obstacles in the professional lives of women have recently gained the spotlight. While periods and period pain affects different people in different ways, in most cases, it can take a toll on their bodies, altering their day to day lives.

Youth Ki Awaaz’s survey found that 66.3% of total participants suffered from some form of menstrual pain. Menstruators can experience severe pain, heavy bleeding, nausea and even depression during their periods. The experience of pain is not quantifiable!

With 24.8% of women active in the workforce, it becomes essential to address their needs. With Zomato in the news for taking a historic step forward, here are some Indian companies championing for menstrual rights of women.

1. Culture Machine

One of the first companies to offer paid menstrual leave, Culture Machine allows its employees the first day of their periods off. The company adopted the First Day of Period (FOP) Leave in 2017 and has since been encouraging other companies to follow suit. It has also been working to normalize menstrual leave, petitioning different ministries to implement the FOP leave across the country.

Expounding upon the decision, Culture Machine’s president Of Human Resources said, “It’s only right that we provide the women who work with us with a supportive work environment and considerate policies.” Additionally, they also believe that menstrual leaves help women become more productive at work.

2. Gozoop

Gozoop, an independent marketing company, has adopted the menstrual leave policy as well. Additionally, the company has also extended the option to work from home for its menstruating employees. Such decisions help to make an inclusive workplace.

The company’s co-founder Rohan Bhansali explained how the policy works, “Our policy smartly offers 6 additional paid leaves to women in a year which translates to 12 work-from-home days in a year. So she may take the leave at her own discretion. Also, there were a lot of discussions about the need to be discreet. How does a woman tell her supervisor that she is menstruating? And we also believe that cultural sensitivities and privacy should be respected. Which is why we decided to automate the process.

3. Mathrubhumi

The companies, as mentioned earlier, have set the benchmark when it comes to menstruator friendly policies at the workplace, and other Indian companies are following suit. Kerala’s giant media group Mathrubhumi also grants period leave to its employees.

According to the policy, women can opt for causal or medical leave on the first day of their period. Reliance Mutual Funds has also considered implementing the period leave since it makes employees more productive.

Make Way For Netflix

Other companies must learn from these initiatives and implement similar policies as well. Another company that could serve as the benchmark for inclusive policies is Netflix.

Netflix gives the benefit of unlimited parental leave to its employees. The policy is available in the first year after a child is born or adopted, with both parents allowed to take as much time off as they deem fit. Throughout the period, full salaries and other benefits are offered to the employees. It helps them retain talent and help the employees perform better.

While the road towards progressive policies at the workplace is long, it is great to see several companies taking the initiative. Let’s hope more companies follow suit when it comes to providing benefits to menstruators at the workplace.

The author is a part of the current batch of the #PeriodParGyan Writer’s Training Program

More from Wasiq Agha

By Wasiq Agha