This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Srujani Mohinta. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Opinion: If We Don’t Question The Indian Media Now, They Will Kill Democracy

Hi Indian media,

It’s been a while since I saw some real news from you. You possibly don’t know me, but I know you very well. I wished to work for you. I am an aspiring journalist, not sure if I should continue to be one in the future. But thank you for making me question my dreams and almost shattering them.

Thanks to some big Indian media houses run by some big “journalists”. Sensationalism, fake news, misogyny, and hate are all I see from you and your channels. You create anger and fear within us, you make us anxious for voicing an opinion against a particular ideology and party.

You are not just killing the dreams of hundreds like me, but murdering the fourth pillar of democracy. Left: Sudhir Chaudhary, Center: Arnab Goswami, Right: Deepak Chaurasia.

Arnab Goswami being number one, followed by Sudhir Chaudhary, Deepak Chaurasia and honestly, I have a long list. You are not just killing the dreams of hundreds like me, but murdering the fourth pillar of democracy and hence the democracy. A section of Society has been affirming that democracy is being destroyed and slaughtered, today I get to catch a glimpse of it, it is happening right in front of my eyes and I am helpless and terrified.

Once in a while when I have some hope in my ambitions, you make me believe that it is of no worth, you remind me every day that what hunger for money, power and fame can do to a person. I wanted to become someone representing the citizens of the country, not a part of a PR and fake information machinery.

Forget about the ethics of journalism, can we expect humanity from you? You have made a joke of a death, you try to gain TRP out of people’s trauma, you vilify a young woman without facts, you are heckling innocent folks, shoving your mics on them; that’s called chase sequencing or something by you?

Giving it a professional term will not make it any better. You know better than me, there’s a reason why law and media are different institutions, one can not do the job of the other.

Running a PR circus, propagating agendas and parties, constructing realities of your own, and calling it news? Someone needs to give you a reality check and tell you that shouting your lungs out for no reason will do no help. Farmers have been dying, students of the country are suffering, the health system is collapsing but you are busy doing no real work.

People watching it like a reality show, enjoying it today, will certainly regret tomorrow. They are not the only culprits here, we are too. You consume what you want to consume and they show what you consume. It’s about time we become the mindful audience.

We live in a country where the majority of people are from rural India and are heavily dependent on information from TV, and this makes the matter even more concerning. They will kill democracy, one day; unless you start exercising your political right to question them, hold them accountable, and not resist them. I see this as the beginning of the end if we don’t wake up now.

The article is written solely on the basis of the thoughts and opinions of the author.

More from Srujani Mohinta

By Taha Iqbal

By Divya Chopra

By Apurv Raj