This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Anurag Barman. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

“Without A Phone Or Laptop, The Lockdown Helped Me Find The Artist In Me”

More from Anurag Barman

ReimagineTogether logoEditor’s Note: This article is a part of #ReimagineTogether, a campaign by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with UNICEF India, YuWaah and Generation Unlimited, to spark conversations to create a new norm and better world order in the post-pandemic future. How have you and those around you coped with the pandemic? Join the conversation by telling us your COVID story and together, let's reimagine a safer, better and more equal future for all!

The views expressed in this article are the author’s and are not necessarily the views of the partners.

It was on the 24th of March. My cell phone accidentally fell into a bucket of water after which it completely shut down. I went to the mobile repairer where he told that it would take a day to
repair it. I had no other options than to submit the mobile to him. In return, he gave me my sim card and his number to call once before I come to take it.

On my return to my new flat, I asked my new neighbour, a couple in their late 60’s, for their cell phone to inform my fiancée and my parents. As I was talking to my fiancée about the unfortunate incident, the news of the 21 days lockdown hit my ears with a bang.

Just thinking about how I would survive alone in the lockdown without any communication, I was devastated/Representational image.

The first thing that struck my mind was, “How will I stay without talking to my fiancée”? She instantly replied, “If you don’t get the phone back during the lockdown, write a letter to me” ,in a humorous tone. Then I repeatedly called the repairer but could not connect him even once. While I was feeling helpless, the old couple was irritated. I returned to my room where everything was silent. My roommate was scheduled to arrive a week later with my laptop.

Just thinking about how I would survive alone in the lockdown without any communication, I was devastated.

And the countdown began. For the first two days, I spent most of the time sitting beside the window, looking at the empty streets and closed shops. Only a few postmen can be seen entering
and leaving the nearby post office with their messenger bags. Taking my fiancée’s words about writing a letter seriously, I eagerly took up the pen but couldn’t write anything as my mind was
stuck somewhere.

I just started scribbling on the paper with my pen and started wondering about my fiancée. After a while, her image was clear in front of my eyes and I started sketching her portrait
in the paper which brought a sense of relief and happiness in my mind. Looking at the portrait, I started to sketch some more images of her to feel her presence in my place. For the next few
days, I revived my old days and sketched them in the paper.

As days passed by, I found the lost artist within me. Time just passed in the blink of an eye and there were so many portraits and landscapes in front of me. I wished I could have expressed the joy of my art with my fiancée.

Suddenly, the idea of the letter again hit my mind. I sat down and started penning down how this lockdown turned into a blessing in disguise for me. I realized that there are lot many things to do
in this world rather than remaining squeezed into the intangible digital world.

The internet era has almost killed the emotion and tolerance level of humans. Everything is so instant that you don’t get the bittersweet feel of waiting for or longing for a reply.

You get the world at your tips but you lose the essence of a relationship in the process. I folded the letter and inserted it into the envelope along with a portrait of my fiancée. Then, I went to the post office where post officials were doing their duty in full-swing.

For the first time in life, I realized the value of the postman who has been delivering messages from a time when there was no phone and technology.

And today amidst the heinous corona pandemic, they are still serving as messengers by risking their lives. As I returned home after sending the letter, my neighbour uncle told that he received a call from the mobile repairer informing that my mobile has been repaired and he will send it to me by the evening. I was overjoyed after hearing the news.

And as I sat beside the window, waiting for the mobile repairer, I started sketching the portrait of a postman carrying my letter amidst the lockdown with the song “Dakiya daak laya (The postman brings the post)” ringing in the background.

This post is a part of COVID Diaries, a special series under the #ReimagineTogether campaign. Tell us how this lockdown and pandemic has affected you! Join the conversation by adding a post here. here.

More from Anurag Barman

By Abhinandan Kaul

By Rafia khan

By Simran Pavecha