This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Ridhima Pandey. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Dear PM Modi, Can You Ensure O2 Cylinders Don’t Become An Essential For Children?

WhyOnEarth logo mobEditor’s Note: Are you bothered by the drastic changes in our climate, causing extreme weather events and calamities such as the Kerala Floods? #WhyOnEarth aims to take the truth to the people with stories, experiences, opinions and revelations about the climate change reality that you should know, and act on. Have a story to share? Click here and publish.
Ridhima Pandey.

On International Day for Clean Air and Blue Skies, I have written to our Prime Minister demanding clean air for all.

Once at school, our teacher asked us about our worst nightmare. I told her that mine was coming to school with an oxygen cylinder because the air was becoming so polluted. This nightmare is still my biggest worry because polluted air is one of the biggest problems in our country today.

The air pollution in many densely populated cities like Delhi, Varanasi, Agra, Mumbai, Chennai and others is very high, making it hazardous for the people living there, causing severe health issues. Post the pandemic, we have read about many research studies suggesting a link between air pollution and Covid 19-related incidences and mortalities. This is very worrying.

Every year, in many parts of India, the air becomes very polluted and it becomes very difficult to breathe after October. ​I worry that if a 12-year-old like me finds it hard to breathe, what must it be like for babies or children younger to me living in cities like Delhi and others?

Before the nationwide lockdown, we thought we would never be able to breathe clean air but the lockdown proved us wrong. The air became cleaner and the skies blue. It proved that breathing clean air for Indians is possible.

I am worried that if nothing is done about this problem soon, then in the coming years, we would have to carry an oxygen cylinder with us to breathe clean air and survive. How would the common man afford this?

Letter to PM

As our Prime Minister, you have accepted Climate Change as a reality. Today, on ‘International Day of Clean Air for Blue Skies’ on behalf of all the children of India, I would like to make a request to you. Please think about our future.

Please give strict instructions to all the concerned authorities and officers-in-charge of managing pollution across India. Ask them to strictly implement all the rules and regulations so that citizens of India can breathe clean air.

Sir, kindly help us by making sure that an oxygen cylinder doesn’t become an essential part of the life of children, which we have to carry on our shoulders everywhere in the future.

More from Ridhima Pandey

By Prakash Rai

By Ajay Kumar

By Rather Abid