This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by David Rehman. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

A Letter To Rahul Gandhi: Our Country Needs An Alternative And You’re Not one

More from David Rehman

Dear Rahul Baba,

Before I come to the point I want to make, let me first tell you that I really like you as a person. You are a good human being and that is very apparent from your conduct and talks. Also, I know the country and media has not been fair to you, and you happened to get on the political curve when your Congress party is in its worst phase, I acknowledge your family’s contribution too. Whatever the media may put up these days, I don’t really think your family was ever involved  in any economic scam, because you never needed to do it since you guys anyway were born with a silver spoon. I also acknowledge that no other political party in this country has lost two of its prominent members to terrorism when they were at the peak of their careers.

I am writing this as an Indian who loves his country. Let me put it straight to you now — our country needs an alternative and you are not one. This has been proven time and again no matter how good a person you might be, you are not a good politician. I am writing this out of disgust and frustration that when I have to look for someone who can be our next PM, other than the lot who is ruling and has proven to be economically and socially disastrous, it is not you. You did not pay heed to the calls of many important members from your party who were not valued and who continuously wanted to meet you to discuss their issues.

sonia gandhi talking to his son Congress President Rahul Gandhi
It is time the Gandhi family stops clinging to authority and let someone else take charge of the party for a while. 

Ultimately they either separated themselves to make their own party or made a fortune by going in the lap of the establishment.I am writing this with the fear and sorrow that I share with my fellow youth and students of this country that even if they want to vote for someone else, they cannot see any other face because you guys never let that face shine. May be a Sachin Pilot, Jyotiradtya Scindia or a Shashi Tharoor would have been a better fit to lead your grand old party and resurrect it to a level to compete in this dirty political environment. But you are so clung to authority that you do not let anyone else in the party come to the front.

I understand it’s not only your or your mother’s fault. The fact that many leaders in your party do not want to see any other chief besides the Gandhis just adds to the tragedy. Even a person like me who is miles away from politics can understand that your party needs revival, a complete change of structure and strategy. How can such learned politicians, with an experience of over a decade, not know this? Or may be they don’t want to know as long as it guarantees their place in the party and earning fancy bread and butter?

But for God’s sake Mr Gandhi, step down from the leadership board of your party and ask your mother to do so too. Go to a Vipassana centre nearby and spend some time there to relax, go to Italy to your granny, go somewhere and spend some time outside politics.Trust me, it will be better for your party as well as our country.

Don’t take me wrong, I have no intention of disrespecting you. I just want to say that you are not cut for politics. You have taken a lot of pressure and burden ever since you joined your party, you deserve some peace of mind. Let someone else lead the Congress party as their own. Let the party restructure itself even if it means expelling some old babas out. Trust me, Modi wins not because he is strong — of course he is, but he also wins because there is no strong opposition standing up against him.

Thus, I want to request you to give way to others to lead.

Your sincerely,

A worried Indian

Featured image source: Getty images

More from David Rehman

By Charkha features

By Rafia khan