This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Rafia khan. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Anticipatory measure for Female Genital Mutilation

More from Rafia khan

Keywords –Female genitalia, Causes of FGM, Preventive measure, Health hazards.

Abstract -FGM (Female Genital Mutilation) is a heinous crime that is hidden under the layer of some merciless religious practice. Which needs strict law and punishment in all over the world. The life of victims became distraught due to this unjustifiable tradition.

FGM is the name given to procedures that involve altering or injuring the female genitalia for cultural and religious reasons in a non-medical process.

It is recognized internationally as a defilement of human rights and girls’ and women’s health and integrity. As per the World Health Organization, over 200 million girls today have suffered FGM in 30 countries.

Female Genital Mutilation is a terrific practice to destroy the female by cutting the tissue of her vagina. This practice was performed during childhood. This is not a current practice; the root of (FGM) lies in the Greek traditions. The Greek historian Herodotus has claimed the Hittites and the Ethiopians practiced circumcision during the 5th century B.C.

In India, Dawood Bohra families practice this unreasonable act. Old but hideous tradition in the name of religion. This practice has been performed in numerous countries. FGM is also interconnected with ethnic ideals of felinity and decorum. It is happening in the whole world, including India.

All the countries and numbers of women have been defined below.

Source: UNICEF, 2013

There are several kinds of FGM is exist all over the world

• Elimination of the clitoris
  • Removal of the clitoris prepuce
  • Elimination of all of the external part (a most severe form of FGM)
  • Cutting or stretching of the clitoris which circumcises female genitalia

This terrific practice causes severe pain and sometimes death due to infection and septic due to the blade’s use, scissors for removing the tissues.

There are numerous health hazards due to FGM

• Menstrual problems
  • Chronic genital infections
  • Urinary tract infections
  • Mental health problems
  • HIV (Human immunodeficiency virus
  • Sexual health problems

Every year, February 6 is observed as the International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (FGM).

How we can take preventive measures to eliminate this criminal activity.

There is a difference in the law as per the country. Some countries declared this act illegal, and some have a severe punishment for this.

CJI Dipak Mishra referred a petition with the seven-judge bench in November 2019. They stated this “seminal issue.”

The petition is still pending, which needs hearing soon. Apart from that, The Dawoodi Bohra community demanded it should be continued as per the religious freedom under Article 25. But there is not fall under the religion.

(.desertflowerfoundation.org, 2020)

Some common law and preventive measures must be taken for the whole world as this practice has been carrying out everywhere.

• Strict punishment: some severe punishment must be given to the people who indulge in this inhuman activity.
  • Awareness programs: Awareness programs must be initiated at the ground level to eradicate this heinous crime from the root.
  • Good clinical understanding: clinical understanding can play a vital role in the victims and victims, and the lives of various girl children can be saved.
  • Counseling sessions: counseling is a great way to deal with these sensitive issues. Parents and other family members must change their mindset after some sessions of counseling. They will be aware of this ridiculous tradition’s health hazards, so they must avoid that.
  • Data collection process: All the facts must be kept in digital form for easy access and can be used for research purposes to make the condition much better.
  • Organization: Numbers of the organization who work in the direction of prevention of FGM must be enhanced to make this process fast.
  • Funding: There are lots of work that is not being done due to lack of money, so we need more funding to execute all the FGM planning.
  • Monitoring committee: All the efforts are getting desirable outputs can be monitor by the monitoring committee from time to time, so all the efforts can be put in the right way for effective result.

Conclusion 

To be sum up, I would like to throw light on really significant facts that I have read the Holy Quran, and this ridiculousness has not been mention in the holy Quran. So it’s not a portion of religion as Muslims follow the Sariya kanoon, there is no provision of FGM in Sariya Kanoon as well. This is the result of the absurdity of clerics who fabricate Islam and its followers. There is no space for heartless activity in any religious book. They must be punished harshly to mislead the community. They are the perpetrator to enhance this perilous practice.

More from Rafia khan

By zaheer ahmad

By trueketoiz

By trueketoiz