This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Kriti Gupta. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

CBI Court Passes Verdict In Babri Masjid Case: All Accused Acquitted

More from Kriti Gupta

CBI judge, Surendra Kumar Yadav delivered his verdict on 30th September, Wednesday, in the Babri Masjid demolition case, 28 years after the religious structure was razed down by a mob in Ayodhya.

In 1992, the religious structure was razed down by a mob in Ayodhya.

The key accused included former Union ministers Murli Manohar Joshi, former deputy prime minister LK Advani and former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Kalyan Singh.

As per the Hindustan Times, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) presented 600 documents and produced 351 witnesses as evidence before the CBI court, Lucknow. The 32 accused faced charges under the sections of IPC including the promotion of enmity between different religious groups, criminal conspiracy and unlawful assembly. The court initially put charges against 49 accused out which 17 had died.

The court said there was no conclusive evidence against the accused and has acquitted all 32. The justice said that all the accused are acquitted and the demolition wasn’t pre-planned.

The Delhi Police maintained a tight vigil in the National capital to make sure of the security aspect, reports PTI. Unlike the Supreme Court’s verdict 11 months ago when the entire town of Ayodhya was garrisoned, this time it was relatively calmer and silent. Saffron flags with Jai Shri Ram imprinted on them were hoisted on almost every house and shop which lead to Ayodhya.

“I welcome the verdict by Special CBI Court, Lucknow acquitting all 32 accused. It proves that justice triumphed however late it may be.”, said Defence minister Rajnath Singh in his tweet. LK Advani too welcomed the court’s decision wholeheartedly and said “Vindicates my and BJP’s belief in Ram Janmabhoomi movement”, as per Hindustan Times.

The Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Yogi Adityanath in his tweet expresses his joy while jabbing the opposition party Congress. He accused the party of calling out for false court cases against those who intend to serve the nations.

“All allegations were because of political rivalry. We don’t conspire but create mantras. The judgement is welcomed.”, said Sadhvi Rithambara as per The Times of India.

While many have welcomed the decision, a large number also expressed their opposition on Social media. Activist and investigator Saket Gokhale tweeted, “No one with an iota of pragmatism expected conviction in today’s Babri verdict. But to say that the accused were restraining the mob and not inciting it just adds a lot to the pain. Injustice is a norm today. But now it goes beyond it by rubbing it on people’s faces.” Sitaram Yechury also putting forward his disapproval called the verdict as “the complete travesty of justice.”

More from Kriti Gupta

By Jeet

By Sofia Babu

By Bindita Sinhä