This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Rafia khan. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Understanding Why Indian Media Is Failing And What They Need To Do

More from Rafia khan

I don’t think there is a need to tell everyone that the media is the fourth pillar of Indian democracy. The media plays a significant role in providing information about minute details. Almost everybody believes the news delivered to them by newspapers and channels.

Duty of the Media:

The media consists of journalists who work for newspaper, television and radio organisations. They collect and publish information on parliamentary activities. The media plays a significant role in democratic societies. It provides information to the public. This includes activities within the Parliament, operations of the Government, and the views and alternate policies of the Opposition. All of these activities bank on access to information.

The media gathers updates on, health, security, education, economy, current and world affairs, research, local news, etc. We understand the importance of media around the world. But Indian media is losing the faith of its people. There are various reliable media agencies still in existence, but they are few in numbers.

What is Responsible for this Prevailing Scenario in Our Country?

republic tv debate panel
Debates have turned into shouting matches. The objective is to drown your opponent out.

Lack of Etiquette: Debates in the Indian media are embarrassing. There is no etiquette for each other. People shout and interrupt each other frequently.

Bias: There are numbers of media persons, anchor and news reporters who are working as agents of the Government. Therefore, they provide information for the Government and not the people of India.

Hate Speech: Several newsreaders are famous for spreading hatred among communities with their hate speech. Mumbai Police recently registered an FIR against Republic TV editor-in-chief Arnab Goswami and two others from the news channel for allegedly hurting religious feelings. Goswami made a derogatory comment on a mosque located in suburban Bandra.

Misinformation: TRPs are more critical. Thus, information that generates more traffic, whether true or not, is frequently talked about. Unverified or false stories are broadcasted for ideological gains. The rhetoric of “Hindu Khatre Mai Hai (Hindus Are In Danger)” is more prominent. It is not good for the unity and integrity of our country.

Suppression of Voices: In the last 5 years, hate crimes and communal disharmony have increased. Some sections of the media are helping suppress the voices of victims rather than helping them.

Diversion: Citizens are being misled and distracted from prominent issues like unemployment, child abuse, women’s safety, health, education and illiteracy.

Some Suggestions:

ravish kumar
The media needs to talk about relevant issues to gain back the trust of the people.

Spread Awareness: We need to make people understand the reality of the current situation.

Decommercialize Politics: Instead of spending millions on news channels and advertisements, the Government ought to focus on growth and development.

Nationalise News Coverage: Whenever we watch the news, they only talk about Delhi or Mumbai. Other parts of the country are ignored. News agencies must cover small villages, towns and streets. There are various issues in our villages that need to be addressed.

The role of the media must be to reveal the truth rather than hiding it. News should work as the eyes and ears of the underprivileged and marginalised communities. It must become the voice of the millions who are voiceless. To sum up, I would like to say that the media should stop the roguish speculations and continuous disinformation. Do your duty without any biases. You can do several good deeds. So do the country a favour.

More from Rafia khan

By niraj chandra

By Mister August

By Tapesh Upadhyay