This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Aditya Yatri. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

This Survey Of 442 Youth Care Leavers Reveals The Challenges They Faced During Covid-19

More from Aditya Yatri

The outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on people across the country leading to difficulties in accessing basic necessities and continues to threaten the survival of a large number of people in the country.

Amongst these groups of people are youth care leavers (YCLs). Youth care leavers are individuals who have completed their stay in child care institutions (CCIs) and aftercare hostels and are now trying to transition into mainstream society.

Youth care leavers who left institutions and hostels in the wake of the pandemic and after the lockdown find themselves in a vulnerable situation with a lack of basic necessities and socio-economic support to fend for themselves. Youth leaving institutions at this time find themselves unequipped to smoothly transition into the society due to lack of job opportunities or loss of the same, lack of financial support to pursue education, lack of shelter, and legal documents to avail schemes, services and scholarships.

At this juncture, it is crucial to take into account the needs of and challenges faced by youth care leavers to enforce mechanisms that would provide them adequate support during their stay and coordinate with them upon their departure to ensure that they are able to settle down.

In this context, a study was carried out through telephonic interviews with YCL spread across Maharashtra. A total of 442 respondents agreed to participate in the survey and this report is based on data analysis of their responses to the structured interview schedule that was used to get responses from them.

Profile Of Youth Care Leavers

This section focuses on the district-wise data of 442 respondents collected through a telephonic survey.

It focuses on factors such as gender wise breakdown of respondents, age, disability status, parental status, educational status before the lockdown, marital status, employment status before the lockdown and the availability of legal documents as proof of identity, bank account and health insurance amongst youth care leavers.

District Wise Data Of Respondents

City/District No. of YCLs
Kolhapur 123
Thane 103
Pune 65
Mumbai Suburban 64
Palghar 28
Sangli 15
Mumbai city 12
Raigad 9
Nashik 6
Nanded 4
Ahmednagar 2
Aurangabad 2
Jalgaon 2
Uttar Pradesh 2
Chennai 1
Hyderabad 1
Nagpur 1
Satara 1
Solapur 1
Grand Total 442

Table 1.  District Wise Data of Respondents

The total number of respondents are 442 and the demographic composition of the data includes four states, namely: Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh.

Majority of the respondents belong to the state of Maharashtra with the highest number of respondents belonging to Kolhapur followed by Thane, Pune, Mumbai Suburban and Palghar. The states of Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh had only one respondent each respectively.

Number Of Youth Care Leavers (YCLs) Per District In Maharashtra  

From a total of 442 respondents, 123 respondents belonged to Kolhapur thus constituting the majority at 27.8%. This is followed by 23.3% in Thane district, 14.7% in Pune and 14.5% in Mumbai Suburban while the population in the rest of the five districts ranged from 1.4% to 6.3%.

While interacting with the youth care leavers, it was understood that most of them had been migrating from urban to semi-urban or rural spaces after leaving institutional care due to the expenses for basic needs such as food and accommodation in urban areas being higher than their income.

Gender Of Youth Care Leavers

From a total of 442 respondents, 234 were male thus constituting 53% of the data whereas the female respondents were 208 in number and 48% of the total.

Age Group Of Youth Care Leavers 

Sr.No Age Group No of YCLs Percentile
1 Below 18 years 5 1%
2 19 to 21 years 73 17%
3 22 to 23 years 79 18%
4 24 to 25 years 65 15%
5 26 to 30 years 110 25%
6 31 to 35 years 62 14%
7 36 and above 48 11%
TOTAL   442 100%

Table 2. The age group of YCLs

Table 2 shows that majority of the youth care leavers belong to the age group of 26 to 30 years which is 25% of the total respondents.

Further, while eligibility criteria designed for the study focused on youth care leavers above 18 years of age, the data also comprises of 5 individuals below 18 years of age.

It is also significant to pay attention to the fact that individuals from the age group of 19 years to 23 years, together constitute 35% of the total number of respondents. The Juvenile Justice Act, 2015 states that support must be provided to young adults leaving aftercare institutions upon the completion of 18 years of age however, the data showed that these individuals have not been provided financial or other support by the system.

Respondents who have only recently left institutions in the wake of the pandemic, with a lack of financial assistance from the government, are more susceptible to poverty and lack of basic necessities and therefore require urgent assistance.

Disability Status Of Youth Care Leavers 

As can be understood, from amongst 442 respondents, 96.6% of the respondents that is 427 were non-disabled persons whereas 3.4% of the respondents that is, 15 respondents were persons with disability.

While data describing the type of disability could not be gathered, the challenges faced by persons with a disability during a pandemic are manifold require urgent attention and assistance.

Parental Status Of Youth Care Leavers 

Figure 4. Parental Status of Youth Care Leavers

It can be understood that majority of the youth care leavers, that is 65.9% of them are orphans. Only 18.2% of the care leavers have and extended family while 6.8% come from a single-parent household whereas only 2.8% have both parents. Further, in the case of 6.8% of the respondents, their familial status is not known.

Thus, orphans constitute the majority of the population. Leaving institutional care without any familial support which is further marked by a lack of financial support from the government could severely affect an individual’s transition into the society. The lack of training and support to face the world and more so in the middle of a pandemic can severely affect these youth care leavers not only socio-economically but also in terms of their mental health.

The aforementioned issues can also emerge in cases of youth care leavers who have a single parent who may either be the only earning member or may have lost employment due to pandemic, in case of family and extended relatives, it would also be difficult if the family does not accept them or lacks resources to shelter them.

These are therefore serious issues questions that have emerged and need to be looked into.

Parental Status And Status of Anath (Orphan) Certificate Amongst Youth Care Leavers

Status of Parents Yes Percentile Not Applicable Percentile No Percentile Total (in numbers) Percentile

Totally Orphan

6 1.4% 0 0% 181 41% 187 42%
Not Known 0 0% 0 0% 10 2% 10 2%
Extended Relatives 1 0.2% 0 0% 106 24% 107 24%
Single Parent 0 0% 124 28% 0 0% 124 28%
Both Parents 0 0% 14 3% 0 0% 14 3%
Grand Total 7 1.6% 138 31% 297 67% 442 100%

Table 3. Parental Status and Status of Anath (Orphan) Certificate amongst YCLs

From the aforementioned data, it can be seen that only 6 orphaned respondents and 1 respondent with extended relatives have received the Anath certificate. 297 respondents therefore do not have the certificate as a proof of identity to access services and schemes.

In 2012, the Government of Maharashtra issued an affidavit stating that an Anath certificate would be issued to orphaned individuals while leaving the child care institutions (CCIs). Further, in 2018, the Government of Maharashtra granted 1% reservation to orphans holding the Anath certificate in the education and employment sector.

As per the ‘Aftercare for Young Adult Orphans’ policy paper published in July 2019, as of January 2019, 70 youth care leavers had applied for the Anath certificate and  22 certificates had been issued.

The data obtained as a part of this study also goes on to highlight the delay in the issuance of Anath certificates. Amongst the several reasons for delay, a lack of knowledge and direction to the youth care leavers regarding officials and authorities to contact for the issuance of these certificated and delay on the part of the administrative authorities in issuing the same. There is a need for the establishment of a database to keep a track of the certificates issued and to be issued to ensure accountability.

This is a matter that requires urgent attention in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic when the availability of this certificate could have helped the respondents avail educational and employment opportunities.

Educational Status Of Youth Care Leavers 

Sr. No Educational Status Male Female Grand total
1 Below 8th standard 19 11 30
2 Below SSC 25 30 55
3 Completed SSC 56 41 97
4 Below HSC 24 16 40
5 Completed HSC 60 53 113
6 Appeared for Graduation 29 24 53
7 Completed Graduation 21 33 54
GRAND TOTAL   234 208 442

Table 4. Educational Status of YCLs

From amongst a total of 442 respondents, majority of the respondents had completed their HSC.

From amongst this 113, 60 were males and 53 were females therefore not showing a wide gender gap in access to education. This is followed by 97 having completed SSC from amongst which 56 are males and 41 are females.

From amongst all the age groups, females have a higher number in comparison to males with regards to completion of graduation. However, the number of students below HSC and below SSC is comparatively higher and almost similar to that of graduation and therefore calls for attention.

This data also brings to light the importance of formulating scholarships for children in institutions and youth care leavers to access education. When individuals who have had a lack of access to education or have not completed the same during their stay in the institution due to several reasons, stepping out in the real world during a crisis situation entails a large number of difficulties in not only finding employment but also further continuing education and the financial burden associated with the same especially during the pandemic.

Marital Status Of Youth Care Leavers

Marital Status Male Percentile Female Percentile Total Percentile
Single 160 36% 105 24% 265 60%
Married 74 17% 90 20% 164 37%
Divorced/Deserted 0 0% 13 3% 13 3%
Grand Total 234 53% 208 47% 442 100%

Table 5. Status of Marriage amongst YCLs

As can be understood from Table 5, the majority of the respondents are single with 160 males and 105 females, respectively and in summation constituting 60% of the total respondents.

However, the number of respondents who are married is higher amongst females as against males with 90 females and 74 males being married, respectively with the total adding up to 37%.

While none of the male respondents has been deserted, 13 female respondents have been divorced/deserted constituting 3% of the total respondents.

The implication of their marital status can further be understood through the number of children borne by the YCLs from the table below.

Marital Status And Number Of Children Borne By YCLs

The implication of their marital status, as mentioned in Table 6 can further be understood through the number of children borne by the YCLs from the table below.

Status of Marriage If Married/Divorced and No. of Children No. of YCLs Total in Number Total in Percentile
Single Not applicable (NA) 265 265 59.95%
Married

Total

– No children

– 3 children and more
– 2 children and more
– 1 child

43
7
55
59164

164

9.73%
1.58%
12.44%
13.35%
37.10%

Divorced/Deserted

Total

– No children
– 2 children
– 1 child
1
5
7
13

13

0.23%
1.13%
1.58%
2.94%

GRAND TOTAL     442 100%

Table 6. Marital Status and No. of Children Borne by YCLs

From amongst 442 respondents, 265 respondents are single, thus constituting a majority whereas 164 respondents are married.

From amongst the 164 married respondents –

• 59 respondents have one child
  • 55 have two and more children
  • 43 have no children and
  • 7 have more than three children.

On the other hand, the number of deserted/divorced respondents is very low with only 2.4% of the respondents (13) belonging to the aforementioned category. From amongst these respondents –

• 7 have one child
  • 5 have 2 children and
  • 1 has no child.

Marital status has a crucial role to play in the roles and responsibilities that the youth care leavers may have to fulfil and how they sustain themselves. During the pandemic, with the lack of access to basic resources and socio-economic issues, the youth care leavers may face multiple challenges especially if they have no financial support and are the sole earner.

Employment Status Of Youth Care Leavers Before Lockdown 

Sr. No Employment Status Total
1 Student 61
2 Part-time job and part-time education 30
3 Full-time employment 142
4 Self-employed 50
5 Unemployed 159
GRAND TOTAL   442

Table 7. Employment status of YCLs

From amongst a total of 442 respondents, majority of the respondents, that is 159 were unemployed whereas the other majority, 142 were employed full time. The number of self-employed individuals on the other hand was 50.

The number of students amongst YCLs was also high with 61 respondents pursuing education full time and only 30 pursuing education on a part-time basis along with a job.

With a majority of the candidates being unemployed before the pandemic, questions regarding financial support and other forms of assistance provided by the government as per the act come forth. Further, with the impact of the lockdown on access to education and employment status, there is a possibility of a decline in the number of respondents being able to access education, be employed and sustain their businesses.

This also brings to light the need for not only financial support from the government but also access to skill-based and vocational training programmes and guaranteed 1% reservation in employment in accordance with the GR issued by the Government of Maharashtra on April 2, 2018.

Gender Wise Breakdown Of Employment Status Of Youth Care Leavers Before The Lockdown

From amongst 442 respondents, in all of the categories, the males were doing comparatively better in comparison to women in terms of their employment status before the lockdown.

The number of females is highest in the unemployed category constituting 90 females whereas the males have the highest number in terms of full-time employment. The number of males pursuing education full time and the number of males who are self-employed is also higher than that of females.

It is only in terms of a part-time job and part-time education that the male to female ratio was almost equal.

This gender-wise breakdown of employment status raises questions about the sustenance of household in the wake of a pandemic which has not only led to the loss of jobs but also a decline in recruitment. All of these factors have a crucial role to play in understanding how the youth care leavers sustained themselves before the lockdown and currently are, during the lockdown.

Legal Documents Possessed By Youth Care Leavers 

One of the major challenges faced by children and youth in institutions is the lack of documents that serve as proof of identity.  Not only do a large number of youth enter institutions with none or not more than one legal document as a proof but also that a significant percentage of them go on to leave institutions without any legal proof.

Child care institutions have a crucial role to play in helping children and youth avail these documents but often fall behind in doing the same. This can be understood through the table below:

Sr. No Legal Documents Yes Percentile No Percentile Total Total Percentile
1 Aadhar Card 411 92.99% 31 7.01% 442 100%
2 Pan Card 352 79.64% 90 20.36% 442 100%
3 Voter ID 207 46.83% 235 53.17% 442 100%
4 Driving License 68 15.38% 374 84.62% 442 100%
5 Ration Card 146 33.03% 296 66.97% 442 100%
6 Passport 55 12.44% 387 87.56% 442 100%

Table 8. Legal documents amongst YCLs.

From amongst all the legal documents, the majority of the respondents have an Aadhar card and Pan card. However, half of the respondents do not have a voter ID and ration card which is an issue of concern. These documents are essential not only as citizens to exercise one’s right to vote and prove identity but also that to receive ration from the public distribution system (PDS) and to avail any scheme, citizens are required to present their ration card as proof.

The lack of a ration card serves as a major hurdle, particularly during the lockdown where acquiring ration through the PDS or the requirement of a ration as proof to avail any other benefit would serve as a hindrance and further aggravate the socio-economic condition of the youth.

It is therefore crucial for the government to create mechanisms and provide support to the youth care leavers to avail documents during their stay or immediately after leaving the institution.

Youth Care Leavers With Bank Accounts

Sr. No Bank Account Number Percentile
1 Yes 395 89.37%
2 No 47 10.63%
GRAND TOTAL   442 100.00%

Table 9. No. of YCLs with a bank account

Bank accounts have a crucial role to play in order to avail government schemes and while a majority of the respondents had one, in case of 10.63% of the participants who do not have a bank account, there is a need to look into the factors that have curtailed them from making an account and provide assistance with regards to the same and provide cash transfer to offer respite during the lockdown.

With the availability of a bank account, the government can provide financial assistance on an immediate basis at present to help improve the situation of the youth care leavers.

Youth Care Leavers With A Health Insurance

Sr. No Health Insurance Number Percentile
1 Yes 52 11.76%
2 No 390 88.24%
GRAND TOTAL   442 100.00%

Table 10. No. of YCLs with a health insurance

As per the aforementioned table, 88.24% that is 390 participants do not have health insurance while only 50 respondents have health insurance.

This is particularly concerning during the COVID-19 pandemic with access to health care being financially straining. With the pandemic and lockdown affecting the physical and mental health of individuals, health insurance is of immense significance at this point in time, particularly for youth care leavers who find themselves lacking social support.

Recommendations:

In accordance with the aforementioned issues and challenges that have come forth, the following recommendations need to be looked into in order to ensure a smooth transition of youth care leavers into the society and their holistic development.

YCLs do not have a strong social support system to rely on and therefore need direction and support from the state in order to avail access to basic necessities such as shelter, healthcare, financial security etc.

There is a need for attention towards the challenges faced by YCLs during the pandemic and urgent intervention to deal with the same in accordance with these recommendations.

Housing

Lack of housing is a primary issue of concern for youth care leavers. With no social support to rely on, the YCLs are left to fend for themselves. Further, the situation is dire for the YCLs in the wake of the pandemic due to lack of housing on rent or the rent being beyond the financial capacity of the YCLs.

It is therefore crucial for the government to provide support and guidance in having shelter post their release, especially in the wake of the pandemic so as to ensure that they can smoothly transition into the society.

Healthcare (Physical And Mental Health)

Health Insurance – Over the course of the years, the central government has put forth various health insurance schemes such as the Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana and Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana for the marginalised.

Similarly, at the state level. Maharashtra’s Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Jan Arogya Scheme has had a crucial role to play in providing access to subsidised health care to the marginalised population. It is in lieu of this that we suggest the amendment of the Mahatma Phule Jan Arogya Scheme to include youth care leavers and ensure their access to the same.

Further, the Sanjay Gandhi Niradhar Anudan Scheme is applicable for destitute individuals aged below 65 years of age, orphaned children, persons with disabilities and those suffering from TB, cancer, AIDS and other such critical illnesses. It is crucial to ensure that before leaving the institutions, YCLs who are orphans and persons with disabilities are made aware of and are included as beneficiaries to the scheme.

Mental Health and Psycho-Social Support

Youth in institutions are mentally vulnerable when brought into the institution, during their stay and post leaving due to the lack of a solid support system. It is therefore crucial to focus on their mental health during their stay and more so upon their exit from the institution.

The mental health of YCLs is an issue of concern and requires more attention during the pandemic with the YCLs being let out into the world with no support mechanisms to rely on.

It is in lieu of this that free counselling services must be provided to the YCLs. Peer to peer support groups should be established through the institutions amongst the youth leaving institutions to ensure that they remain in contact and can support each other.  There is a need to orient the youth before living institutions regarding helpline numbers to avail counselling and other services provided by professionals for free.

Education

Many YCLs had saved money from their first job in order to pay for their higher education but are now forced to use these savings to meet basic needs since they did not receive any support from the government for accessing basic supplies such as rations and groceries for free or at a subsidised rate during the lockdown due to the pandemic which has led to an exhaustion of their savings.

1. There is a need for designing a scheme to ensure that YCLs are provided financial support of scholarship till the completion of their education. This would not only ensure higher rates of education amongst YCLs but also ensure that the youth are not forced to take up employment at an earlier age due to lack of financial support to avail education.
  2. As the youth continue to leave institutions during the pandemic, the government must provide the youth with electronic devices such as a cell phone or cash transfer to purchase the same and be able to pay for the recharge in order to ensure that they are able to attend classes from home through these devices.
  3. It is also important for the government of Maharashtra to ensure that the 1% reservation allotted for YCLs in higher education ensures the inclusion of these youth in the same in order for them to be able to access education during the pandemic with no financial burden.

Employment And Financial Security

Majority of the youth leaving the institutions do not have a long term career plan or any form of support to guide them through the initial years of their career post leaving the institution. This problem has been further aggravated in the wake of the pandemic and lockdown in the state of Maharashtra which has reduced the mobility of youth within their own cities and also put a halt on their migration to different parts of the state for employment.

This calls for a need for change in the long term aspects and looking into short term aspects to provide immediate relief.

Short Term

The government must provide a six-month relief pension to the youth care leavers in order to reduce their financial burden with regards to rent and to help them avail other basic necessities.

Long Term

1. There is a need for an institution of a career counsellor or any other qualified professional to guide the youth through their career options, available opportunities post leaving and train them in the same. This professional shall remain in touch with youth post their leave from the institution to map their career for a span of a few months to a year to ensure that the youth have smoothly transitioned into the society and are now independent.
  2. In the wake of the pandemic, it is important that the state comes forth and provides support to these youth in getting jobs to ensure that they are not left in a vulnerable state with no access to basic necessities and ensure that they are able to fend for themselves.
  3. Those youth willing to engage in business or show potential for the same must be trained by the Higher Education department and the Ministry of Entrepreneurship in skill development for enhancing their skills and provided financial support and professional guidance as they start their business.

Now more than ever, it is important that the government of Maharashtra ensures the speedy implementation of the 1% reservation policy that it has instituted for the orphans in higher education and employment to provide respite to the youth in the wake of the pandemic. In order to ensure the same, there is a need to work on reducing the gaps and challenges in availing the Anath certificate in order to ensure that majority of the youth care leavers are able to avail the benefits of reservation and secure themselves professionally.

Participation, Inclusion And Social Protection

1. As the youth care leavers’ transition into society, they have the potential to contribute effectively to the larger system and can be resourceful if their potential is recognised and put to use effectively.

This, therefore, calls for increased interaction between the YCLs and the bureaucratic systems at the local, regional and national level for creating peer groups amongst YCLs in order to work together to improve their lives socially and professionally, to work on advocacy on the issues of YCLs and engage in public campaigns.

1. Further, amongst the YCLs, girls and women are vulnerable group susceptible to discrimination and exclusion and are vulnerable. They need guidance and support as they transition into society in multiple aspects such as health, education, housing etc. It is, therefore, necessary to develop mechanisms where issues of gender discrimination and other challengers pertinent to women are discussed amongst both men and women YCLs to ensure sensitivity and more support to one another as they transition into the society.

The aforementioned are particularly important in the wake of the pandemic whereby social distancing can lead to isolation, loneliness and other such feelings and therefore a strong network and connection amongst youth through electronic media would help them stay in contact with one another, provide support and encourage solidarity.

Legislative Policy, Reforms And Documentation

There is no clear guidance/advisories during covid-19 and beyond which are specific to the YCLs. Care authorities are accessible only remotely which does not provide the required support. This is further aggravated by the fact that the majority of the YCLs have not been able to access social protection schemes and avail other benefits due to the lack of legal documents that serve as identity proof.

Legal documents serving as proof of identity and bank accounts are crucial for the youth care leavers to access essential services and schemes provided by the government. It is therefore vital for a mechanism to be put into place to ensure that the process of availing these documents initiated immediately after their arrival in the CCIs or before their leave.

In the wake of the pandemic, these documents have a vital role to play to access essential services and the lack thereof shall affect the youth care leavers manifold and it therefore pivotal for the government to take into consideration the aforementioned and work speedily at the moment to provide documents to the YCLs.

Mapping And Database Of YCLs

There is a need to maintain a comprehensive database from the period of their institutionalisation in order to map their transition and provide support. This institutionalisation of a system would help in developing a care plan and ensure a smooth transition into the society with regular follow-ups and tracking by social workers, probation officers or other officials as prescribed.

Such a comprehensive database from the time of institutionalisation would ensure that when leaving, the youth are equipped with and are provided necessary documents, adequate skills and financial support to transition into the society.

Featured image: YCLA Facebook

More from Aditya Yatri

By Prasun Goswami

By Saurav Shekhar

By Rajat Saxena