This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Ritwik Trivedi. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Dear Government, “Don’t Let Democracy Become Redundant”

More from Ritwik Trivedi

I am made to understand that Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singh’s words in the Parliament were up to the content. At least he spoke with great command and brilliance on the built-up of Chinese forces at the LAC as to how it impacted India’s territorial integrity, sovereignty and security.

Violating the terms of the bilateral treaties and agreements as India reserved the right to retaliate in case of any Chinese misadventure. I would have acknowledged the Raksha Mantri had he not ducked the questions from the members of the opposition. In the first place, how did the Chinese troops enter our borders?

How much of our area is under their control? What are the preventive strategies aimed to counter their aggressions and all? At least the Raksha Mantri should have bothered to convince the people who were having intense confusion and doubts. PM Modi, after the Galwan valley incident in June this year, said no Chinese incursions took place inside our territory. If not, then who will take the moral responsibility of our 20 jawans who were martyred?

How did they lose their precious lives, if not for the incursions of the Chinese PLA troops inside our territory? The Chinese for the last five months have been activating their techniques and tactics of controlling our said land territory. We have been entirely clueless if we were to go by the versions of the Defence Establishment, Defence Minister and Prime Minister. In their perception, the Chinese want to test our waters, and any such miscalculation will t sternly be dealt with.

Why can it not be an ideology minus when it comes to developing and designing defence training and manpower?

I would want to put this before the members of the current ruling dispensation to shun up their obedience and loyalty to their political ideology and objective for a while. In the best of national security and sovereignty, become a bit aware and sensible. Start counting the opposition in by encouraging a conducive atmosphere of debate and dialogue.

Don’t let our democracy become redundant as has been made at the moment. Fundamental rights are under attack under the garb of your ideological whims and fantasies.

It is setting us to lose our conduct, composure and character as a democracy guided by the supremacy of the mandate in the house. In its second term, the NDA government should learn a lesson or two from Atal Bihari Vajpayee.

The latter never desisted or disallowed the opposition from speaking up their minds. Forget about suspending or interfering in the due parliamentary processes and procedures. During the Indo-China 1962 war, PM Jawaharlal Nehru had organised a special session of the Parliament. Assertively putting up a brave face in replying to the opposition as India was severely bruised and battered by China in 1962. I remember during the 1999 Kargil War PM Vajpayee didn’t shy away from presenting facts before the Parliament.

But why does PM Modi often quote “Sabka Saath Sabka Vishwaas“. Kaisa banega vishwaas jab nahi banega saath Modi ji, socchiye thoda iss par? (How will the trust be built when togetherness will not be formed? Think on this, PM Modi)

In my opinion, carrying every opinion and view in democracy matters the most, more than anything. I believe the Modi Government should set its act right by choosing to come to terms with the reality at present, including Coronavirus.

More from Ritwik Trivedi

By Accountability Initiative

By Suneel

By Bashiruddin Faruki